• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conder101: PCGS slab update ATS

2 posts in this topic

Just thought you might want to look at this and make sure it's all correct. I know you worked long and hard on this and I want to make sure everything is correct and not allow people to think something is what it isn't.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=918775

I will probably want to make some more comments about this later.

Very good job, I have just skimmed through it so far. Two comments right now, the question about when the prongs were first used, I believe it was in mid 2007. They were late getting off the starting block with a slab that allowed the edge of the new President dollars to be seen. The NGC edgeviews beat them out handily. (NGC had had the edgeviews since 2002.) It might have taken them even longer but the missing edge lettering Washington dollars gave them a needed push in development. After all if you are going to put position A or B on the label or holder a missing edge lettering dollar, you really need to be able to see the edge!

On the later use of the Rregency slabs, Yes there were regency slabs in the May 96 Eliasburg sale, but when were they slabbed? A collection like that takes a lot of lead time for cataloging, photographs, and slabbing. It would not surprise me at all if those coins were in PCGS's hands back in 1995. If they were slabbed before photographing and cataloging they would have had to have been done in 1995