• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SADLY posted by SAM ESALE

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

as it turns out, the coins I bought in Romania are not what I thought, only discovered after I read an article on how coins should react with magnet...

sadly all my coins are magnetic....

what use can they have anymore?????

Am disappointed, this hobby can be a very risky one as I can see so far....

If you have any ideas please share with me... at sam.esale@yahoo.com

15515.jpg

See more journals by SAM ESALE

Since they are U.S. coins that I'd consider counterfeits, I would first contact the Secret Service to see if they would want them. They can use them for investigations and whatnot.

If they don't want them, you could also ask NGC or PCGS if they would want them. They may want them for research purposes.

You are a member here in this club to learn and make less mistakes!! :)

Now take the top three coins. Not having wear and very sharp looking. Even a person that is not an expert would see that 1872 Seated dollar in MS65 is worth $65,000 and the 1795 in the center would be worth $450,000. So now you ask the question ---- "Why are they not graded by TPG companies"?

You are probably not the first to purchase the exact fake coins but they need to go to someone that is not interested in fooling someone else or --- The bottom of the River!! :)

In the future --- When purchasing 100 year old coins that are rare --- PURCHASE NGC or PCGS graded ONLY!!

Rick

Looks to be $18 to $20 in value for a Fake's or "COPY" display case. I have seen this pic before but never the reverses of these coins. Probably have C-O-P-Y stamped in the reverses!! :grin:

The coins in the photo have a number of issues, at first glance. The relative sizes are all wrong, the walking Liberty half is dated 1900, etc. Perhaps others will look longer and point out more.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Run from such material unless your purpose is to gather fakes from around the world. And if that is your aim, then I hope it's for purely educational purposes...

Hopefully, you did not spend too much on those things. But as others have said, real versions of those items will be mostly in NGC or PCGS holders. Exceptions will be coins that are fresh out of long term storage (e.g., after an old collector dies and family discover the coins in a safe deposit box), or coins with problems.

There is a fair amount of quality early copper coinage that is not certified. But if you get into that, be sure that the seller is a reputable EAC member/dealer.

Finally, stay away from eBay if you're buying uncertified coins. And these days, even the slabs are being faked, so be careful with your money...

Alan

Sam, we have all made mistakes while buying coins for our collections. I know this to be a fact in my case. although to my knowledge I have no fakes in my collection. I do have 2 full boxes of coin not from the US that I will not get graded for years if ever that's a couple grand that I could have used to get my mint sets graded with. so we all make mistakes weather we admit it or not we all have coins or sets we regret buying. I just hope your not out a lot of money and if you are try contacting the dealer you bought them from and you may be able to shame him into returning your money just don't return the coins with the promise of a refund because you'll never see a check from him he'll just resell them to someone else.

Happy collecting And May God Bless ...Mike