• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EAC Purchase plus another.

18 posts in this topic

Bought 1854 NGC, MS65BN, 1/2 Cent (see attachment). Nice rich brown toning with blue highlights.

I edited and added another coin, an 1854 cent, to this post.

657185-1854HalfCent.jpg.a44c10dc9276ff9ce495128093f3341c.jpg

Hello Charlie,

Now that's a nice acquisition. I think it is interesting how it's off-centered a bit. Did you take the photo?

Charlie,

The only 1854s I've seen had rust pits, though like the one you purchased, they seem to be well struck. I'm a bit envious. Usually the only one of this series you find in 5 is the 1855, which is uniformily poorly struck, missing denticles from about 2:00 to 6:00 (if you're lucky), with lots of flat stars.

I like the glistening luster on your coin.

There are no rust pits or die deformities on this half-cent. It must be an early die strike. Along with the 1854 half-cent, I purchased a 1854 brown, NGC-MS64, large cent that is virtually it's twin (see attachment). Both are well centered and well struck, although the half cent has slightly better surfaces. The denticles in the photo look fuzzy, but they are well struck and the surfaces are very good.

658102-1854Cent.jpg.b7700672e6e20f4186c4457decbf903d.jpg

Wow! Charlie! Another superb piece! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Rich brown cents are my favorite. They get a patina that's like desert varnish (for those who may have seen that). tongue.gif

Hoot

Thanks, guys. I like the brown toning too. It has been many years since I have owned either type of these coins. Plus, the brown copper oxidation is not going to change with time either, like some of my RD-IHC's have. The lavender and blue highlights add to the coins' appeal but did not reproduce well in the scans.

the lavendar and blue highlights are from wooden coin cabinet storage gas from the wood toned many large and half cents expecially so the proofs with their delicate mirrors blue

as envelope coin storage did not come into vogue until the late 19th century

michael

Plus, the brown copper oxidation is not going to change with time either, like some of my RD-IHC's have.

Exactly!

Of course, I would prefer red copper (but not at multiples of RB bid) but it is inevitable for it to turn at some point.