• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 1834 Capped Bust Halves cleaning age (with pictures)

8 posts in this topic

I am still a rookie, so I want to ask for your opinion about my new purchase: 1834 Capped Bust Halves. Does it looks like it's new cleaning or old cleaning? I bought it from flea market today, it is in PCGS cleaning - VF details slab. I am wondering if it's actually old cleaning, the grading service should passing the clean thing into the grade, VF20-25? Sorry for huge pictures, I tried to fix the size, but couldn't figure it out.

183450cObv_zps0effc98e.jpg

183450cRev_zps4aed4a76.jpg

Looks like an older cleaning, and the VF details may be from the scratches present. Without the cleaning, because of scratches, its a VF coin.

This piece probably has several problems that prevent it from grading, Cleaning, scratches, and questionable toning. PCGS will only list one problem on the slab. It is probably an old cleaning, but the coin could also have been retoned to hide a more recent cleaning.

As others have said this coin has multiple problems. It could have been given a "details" grade for the scratches on the obverse, or the funky toning on the reverse which is either artificial or the result of having been cleaned or dipped years ago.

Overall it's not a bad coin given that you piece a reasonable amount for what it is.

I think the toning, although a bit odd, is just fine...and natural but probably due to a dipping at one time. Of course, some might define that as "artificial" but I don't.

Here's a CBQ I own that has has similar odd toning but graded F12 and with a CAC to boot.

25c-1819.jpg

jom

I think the toning, although a bit odd, is just fine...and natural but probably due to a dipping at one time. Of course, some might define that as "artificial" but I don't.

The blue color on the reverse of the coin that started this thread are a bit too "neon" for my taste.

Here are a couple more from that era, heavily worn, that have that type of toning that are CACed. So apparently the status quo accepts this type of toning as not human assisted. If so, I doubt dipped and retoned would be part of what happened (?).

Best, HT

1814halfPCGSVF35CAC_zps5d3c999f.jpg

1831dPCGSF12_zps7309f2fc.jpg