• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lassaiz-faire vs. Reporting questionable conduct

3 posts in this topic

One dictionary definition of "laissez-faire" is "a philosophy or practice characterized by a usually deliberate abstention from direction or interference especially with individual freedom of choice and action." In principle this can be a functional working principle when dealing with honorable, ethical people. However when unscrupulous or unsavory people are involved with stuff to hide, it tends to be problematic, ie the "fox guarding the hen house".

Some people go to the opposite extreme of letting everything pass, letting bygones be bygones, "what goes around comes around", karma rules, etc.. They report even a minor whiff of impropriety, rule-breaking, people who are not dotting all their "I's" and crossing all their "T's" when they are supposed to.

Where do you stand on praising good actions and reporting bad ones and should collectors and dealers be more activist when it comes to conduct they don't like? What are the problems which come with whistle-blowing vs. letting every offense and concern fall into place by natural as opposed to man-created counter-actions?

"Where do you stand on praising good actions and reporting bad ones and should collectors and dealers be more activist when it comes to conduct they don't like? What are the problems which come with whistle-blowing vs. letting every offense and concern fall into place by natural as opposed to man-created counter-actions? "

Personally, I don't want to be involved with anything dealing with any legal proceedings. I don't want to be a plaintiff, a defendant, a juror, a witness...nothing. After serving as a juror on a murder trial one time, I never want to step into a courthouse or doing anything to help the justice system ever again. From my experience, there's no such thing as justice in courts, only politics. So I am only willing to report shady actions that I don't think will result in me ending up in court for any reason.

For me reporting bad stuff has to be pretty clear and blatant or law breaking, etc., where a bunch of people have gotten ripped off. Not that the authorities would ever do anything about it. Usually they don't.