• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Read this month's issue of The Numismatist - Free!

15 posts in this topic

For those of you who aren't ANA members (and I hope most of you are) - the ANA website is undergoing some renovations and temporarily you can read the electronic edition of The Numismatist without logging in.

Just go to the ANA website and click on the "Read The Numismatist" icon in the middle of the homepage!

For those of you who aren't ANA members (and I hope most of you are) - the ANA website is undergoing some renovations and temporarily you can read the electronic edition of The Numismatist without logging in.

Just go to the ANA website and click on the "Read The Numismatist" icon in the middle of the homepage!

That Numismatist browser is a pain in the butt!

Certainly, it's nothing like reading a major newspaper or mass-market magazine online.

I surmise that the ANA (and Coin World) want to placate their elderly audience and their advertisers by electronically replicating the experience of reading the paper edition.

At least the online editions are cheaper than the paper ones and it's pretty easy to print a page if you want to keep a copy of an article or an ad.

edited to add: The Numismatist browser is actually pretty versatile - as you move your cursor over the front cover, the article titles light up and you can click on them to go directly to the article. You can also do that from the title page.

By the way, you also have access to the archive copies of The Numismatist - click on the icon at the top left of the screen.

For those of you who aren't ANA members (and I hope most of you are) -

Thanks for the heads up . . . I subscribe to Numismatic News and Coin World and have heard of The Numismatist but never read a copy as I am not a member of the ANA.

On the 1st of June I will gladly pay my dues. :)

Edited to add: If the ANA would make freely available a trial back issue (online) for non-members to peruse I'd bet that would help add to their membership roles.

I didn't think I'd like the electronic version of the Numismatist at first so I have continued to pay the full member dues to get the print version. I still read most of the articles from the print version, but I do like to check out the electronic version when it first comes out (well before the print copy arrives). Also, I have found the search function works really well on the electronic version, even for searching back issues (not sure how far back it searches though). Was able to find my name and the name of my coin club in the magazine a few times that way ;)

Certainly, it's nothing like reading a major newspaper or mass-market magazine online.

I surmise that the ANA (and Coin World) want to placate their elderly audience and their advertisers by electronically replicating the experience of reading the paper edition.

At least the online editions are cheaper than the paper ones and it's pretty easy to print a page if you want to keep a copy of an article or an ad.

edited to add: The Numismatist browser is actually pretty versatile - as you move your cursor over the front cover, the article titles light up and you can click on them to go directly to the article. You can also do that from the title page.

By the way, you also have access to the archive copies of The Numismatist - click on the icon at the top left of the screen.

Despite your assurances, the Numismatist is a pain in the butt to read. The text is small and upon double clicking to make the page larger, the user now has to scroll, horizontally and vertically to read an article.

While enlarged, the page advance buttons are "off the screen" which means the reader either has to make the print smaller again or scroll horizontally to find the page advance.

If you're going to compare Coin World, don't bother since the Numismatist browser is does not appear to be any where near as versatile as the Coin World Browser. Even after Coin World made changes.

19Lyds,

Wow.

I heartily apologize for offering you something for free.

No doubt you hated any of the articles you were barely able to read.

I'll let you go back under your bridge and not bother you.

(Although, if I see any of the Billy Goats Gruff, I'll send them your way.)

"I surmise that the ANA (and Coin World) want to placate their elderly audience and their advertisers by electronically replicating the experience of reading the paper edition."

But at the same time, not including a digital version may alienate younger users. Personally, I prefer the digital versions of magazines because I can always access back issues without keeping a lot of old magazines laying around.

Also...I'm sorry to mention this...but I think you're using the word "placate" incorrectly. I was thinking that you meant "alienate" or maybe "ostracize" or maybe "preclude". But these would only make sense if you were referring to "their elderly audience". A digital version wouldn't "alienate", "ostracize", or "preclude" their advertisers at all. So I'm not sure what you meant. But I'm sure "placate" isn't what you meant.

Mr. Smith Guesser,

No, actually I meant "placate". (I was making a modestly humorous jab at the ANA's typical "cranky old guy" membership.)

That is, I suggest that the ANA deliberately chose an electronic magazine format that replicates the experience of reading the paper edition so that it wouldn't be so foreign to its audience, instead of choosing a format like that of the major newspapers.

I visit the websites of the NY Times, WSJ, Washington Post, LA Times, etc. regularly and visiting those websites is completely different from reading the paper copy. I don't visit the websites of many magazines, but those I have don't replicate the paper edition, either.

If I were the ANA, I would have gone with a digital edition that didn't replicate the paper edition - why should I have to print a page of the paper magazine instead of just printing the article I want if not to make the ANA's advertisers happy? Why do I have to page through a digital edition as if I were reading a paper edition?

19Lyds,

Wow.

I heartily apologize for offering you something for free.

No doubt you hated any of the articles you were barely able to read.

I'll let you go back under your bridge and not bother you.

(Although, if I see any of the Billy Goats Gruff, I'll send them your way.)

Oh get a grip and quit going off half cocked!

I posted my opinion and observations! I did not say I "hated" the articles and the reference to living under a bridge? Where the hell did that come from?

Hopefully you do not work for the ANA since your attitude appears tp be fairly condescending.

ah...sorry about that. sarcasm is hard to read.

oh and now i know what you're saying about exactly duplicating the magazine... as opposed to putting the articles in a different format. and yeah, you're right it probably would be a little better if you could only get the article without the ads...at least you'd save a little ink when printing.

in all things, i feel like we went from having a few ads here and there to an advertising assault on the consumer in the blink of an eye. i swear that there are times i flip through TV channels and can't find anything but commercials.

...and wow, here's a new one for ya...Time and Sport Illustrated are now going to put advertisements on their covers: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/business/media/two-time-inc-magazines-will-run-cover-advertising.html?_r=0

yay! (sarcasm) :D

up next...advertising in your dreams.

Despite your assurances, the Numismatist is a pain in the butt to read. The text is small and upon double clicking to make the page larger, the user now has to scroll, horizontally and vertically to read an article.

While enlarged, the page advance buttons are "off the screen" which means the reader either has to make the print smaller again or scroll horizontally to find the page advance.

If you're going to compare Coin World, don't bother since the Numismatist browser is does not appear to be any where near as versatile as the Coin World Browser. Even after Coin World made changes.

You don't have to scroll both ways. Just click on the PDF icon on the right and it will load the PDF version. Then you can just read it like any other PDF file.

Edited: you can then also save it to your desktop to read later on.

You don't have to scroll both ways. Just click on the PDF icon on the right and it will load the PDF version. Then you can just read it like any other PDF file.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot!

Much Better....

Thanks. I'll give this a shot!

Much Better....

Which means, you whined for nothing here before you actually examined how to best read it. Thanks for that.

Best, HT