• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Ancient Greek NEWP

6 posts in this topic

I've really just gotten started with ancients but have been watching them quite closely for a year or two, so far only two Roman Republic pieces and just won this Greek piece at the Pegasi auction:

Rhodes Hemidrachm C. 175 BC - 150 BC, 3/4 facing head of Helios obv., rose in square with grapes reverse. It's raw but looks about an EF+ to me and I thought the toning was attractive. The cracked flan probably kept the price down but that's ok with me, I really don't mind that in the ancients. I believe my theme for ancients is just coins I find the design attractive/historical. This one falls in the attractive category for me, I've always thought the coins with the head of Helios were very nicely done.

175BCRHODESHEMIDRACHMSNGKeck793_zps8690f7b7.jpg

Helios, according to the ancient writers, was left out of the draw after Zeus defeated the giants and divided up all the land among the Olympian gods. He was able to talk Zeus in to grating him all the land that rose out of the sea, and promptly Rhodes rose up. Helios then bathed the island in his own light making it the most beautiful island in the Aegean.

Omg, this place is quiet!

I'm no expert, but that seems like an attractive coin to my eye. Congrats. Have you decided on a theme yet, or just acquire nice pieces for now?

Any thoughts on the raw vs slabbed matter?

Regards,

EVP

Very nice coin. Love how the face just seems to pop out at you.I have gotten into Ancients because of the history to them. I mean if a 100 year old coin is cool then a 1500 year old coin is awesome. Not sure why more people dont collect them. I prob have 10 with no theme to them just whatever I can afford that looks cool.

Nice Helios! Good to see the occasional ancient coin in here :)

One reason it might be so quiet in here is the approach of the Long Beach show. They have some incredible ancients being offered ....