• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1850 double eagle had two engravers.

14 posts in this topic

According to James B. Longacre’s diary entry of January 10, 1850, Peter Filatreu Cross (1815-1862) “began working (on the reduced head of the Double Eagle hub – then nearly completed.)"

Cross had been hired as a temporary assistant to help Longacre make hubs and dies for the new gold dollars and double eagle. He also helped cut the Type II gold dollar reverse.

I wonder which one of them misspelled "LIBERTY" on the headband? The first hub used on all 1850-1858 $20's has it misspelled "LLBERTY," though they did try to hide the tail of the second "L."

The diary doesn't say, but I've only scratched the surface of a bunch of new Longacre documents that were recently donated. The Head of Liberty referred to is the lower relief version used from 1850-1876.

Interestingly, the coiner's (Franklin Peale) complaint about the 1849 version was that it did not strike up because of the head placement - Longacre had assumed it was due to relief.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Interestingly, the coiner's (Franklin Peale) complaint about the 1849 version was that it did not strike up because of the head placement - Longacre had assumed it was due to relief.

That may be why the head's centering was changed in 1877, as experiments with this switch likely demonstrated fuller strikes. The relief was lowered at the same time, and more hair detail added, so these further changes appear to be related.

I just discovered this thread and board. I am a direct descendant of Mr. Cross, who was my great-great-great grandfather. I didn't know that there were Longacre documents about Peter. The Mint believes that he died in 1858. I have seen him listed in the 1860 Census, and our cemetery records have his lifespan as from October 6, 1815 - October 13, 1862.

Thanks for the info!

Bill Stephens

Annville PA

Bill,

Glad you saw the post. Can you supply additional information about Mr. Cross? Family papers, letters, anything would be of immense help. U.S. Mint archives are incomplete and barely mention Mr. Cross or his work.

RE: "The Mint believes that he died in 1858." That is understandable....quite a few people who worked at the mint were "dead" before they died. :)

PM me and I will send you my direct email address.

I wonder which one of them misspelled "LIBERTY" on the headband? The first hub used on all 1850-1858 $20's has it misspelled "LLBERTY," though they did try to hide the tail of the second "L."

Interesting,

I never noticed the misspelling on my 1852 until I read this post.....

155213.jpg.2f4d19aec9e5a6fbff418a1e616233ae.jpg

That may be why the head's centering was changed in 1877, as experiments with this switch likely demonstrated fuller strikes. The relief was lowered at the same time, and more hair detail added, so these further changes appear to be related.

Talk about a weak strike! Take a look at the area around the eye on my 1873 Open 3. It's in a NGC AU Details slab so obviously they are aware of the weak strike on this issue.

155214.jpg.141e8c28facf8763cabd5e491d3afdf5.jpg

Not a weak strike...over polished die in an attempt to repair surface damage/cracks and get more coins from the die.

A "details" determination should have nothing to do with abrasions on the die.

Not a weak strike...over polished die in an attempt to repair surface damage/cracks and get more coins from the die.

A "details" determination should have nothing to do with abrasions on the die.

Thanks for that info. Similar to what created the 1937-D three legged Buffalo? I'm learning new things here every time a read a new post.

I should have mentioned "Improperly Cleaned"