• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting 1921 Peace dollar die clash

9 posts in this topic

Here is a 1921 Peace dollar with unusually strong clash marks on the reverse. A later die state shows only remnants of this after the die was repaired.

1921-die-clashsm_zpsfd48302a.jpg

A little better than usual. The very strong reverse clash was what got my attention.

Congratulations on getting one, particularly one that looks so clean! :applause: I've got one of them. I've also seen one in a PCGS MS63 holder. The two that I've seen do have significantly stronger strikes than the norm for 1921 Peace dollars. Here is mine, which I've kept raw.

21obv670.jpg

21rev676.jpg

21revpolish689.jpg

21revpolish691.jpg

Capt - You might also like this one for the strike, but no clashing.

1921-Kennywood-795sm_zpscfaedda1.jpg

And for a nice strike, this one has been shown several times before.

1921-obv-fullstr-obv-rev_zps5081b7a7.jpg

Skyman,

Yours looks like the later stage where a lot of abrading has been done to remove most of the clash damage. (In front of eagle and both sides of long ray.)

Heck, if there a letter transfer - pick a letter, any letter, wally Breen signed a bunch - you could be awarded a brand new VAM variety plaque. It could be VAM 1642,b,c21.85a or some such?

If the Skyman coins are also better strikes, it increases the chances these were made on the first day of production.

Messydesk - Yep. Seems to match VAM1o based on the tiny chip. Too bad the VAMworld photo doesn't show more of the reverse. An overlay, with slight rotation, shows the extent of the clash transferring part of Liberty's lips, but not the letter E.

(Or E-I-E-I-O either...)