• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Baseball HOF question (selling sealed boxes)

5 posts in this topic

I, like so many others purchased a few of the HOF coins only to have placed into "back order" status;

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 1 $51.95 $51.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 06/12/2014.

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 1 $47.95 $47.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 06/19/2014.

I am considering buying outright a PCGS MS69 Silver Dollar version for my collection and selling these two in their sealed boxes, when I get confirmation that they are on their way.

Do you think that this would be a good or bad idea?

One can never predict what the mint might send you or if you will get anything at all. It is also hard to predict the market. I will say this. Buying these coins is not an emergency. The mintages are high for modern commemorative coins, and they will always be available.

As to what the prices will be, that is anybody's guess. I would not pay any of the insanely high prices that have been reported in the press. Those numbers will almost certainly not hold up. My view is that the prices might settle down by the end of the year. They will probably be higher than the issue prices but not crazy high. They could be like the Buffalo dollars which have always sold at a premium.

As for sealed boxes, I would not buy one of those on a bet. My theory is that those of us who are at the bottom of the HOF coin food chain are going to get the rejects that the flippers sent back because they could see that those coins would not get high grades from the TPGs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see why these shipments are so delayed. The mint should be able produce the additional coins and get them out faster than that.

...........As for sealed boxes, I would not buy one of those on a bet. My theory is that those of us who are at the bottom of the HOF coin food chain are going to get the rejects that the flippers sent back because they could see that those coins would not get high grades from the TPGs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see why these shipments are so delayed. The mint should be able produce the additional coins and get them out faster than that.

THIS is why I'll cancel my orders for the silver $'s (that have 'expected ship date 4/16/2014' and still have the cancel box available) and buy the silvers in FS on the aftermarket. What the mint did with this program is utterly ridiculous. It is by far the worst execution of a hyped promo that they knew would be popular, that I have seen. Though, they DID have PLENTY to sell at the Balto show, but can't ship an order that was placed and confirmed by 12:38pm on March 27th. I guess if you wanted a prime example (hell, any example, from my viewpoint), you had to trek to Balto. Makes me ill that I ordered inside the first half hour of them going on sale, and I still haven't even had them ship yet, but someone who waited in line longer than it took me to order got their's graded with not only the FS label, but the coveted Balto label. Talk about dropping the ball....it's as if the phone/online orders were secondary to the Mint. I am on the fence as to whether I'll ever order from them direct again. They had better service before PBGS got it, and MUCH better service before Novitex got it.

Received two silver ER HOF coins today from NGC. Both graded 70. Sending two HOF silver UNCs out soon, but unfortunately they are not ER eligible. Received them just after the deadline. Have 5 more of each silver HOF version coming in June sometime. The NGC slab holders are much thicker to accomodate the domed coin.

It really sucks that the mint and the TPGs got together to come up with this Baltimore, first strike thing. It was unfair to everyone else in the rest of the country who could not attend that show and stand in line for hours to buy the coins.

My attitude is I want no part of the coins that are marked that way if they are charging a premium for them. If fact I think less of them because of the circumstances under which they were sold, slabbed and now marketed.