• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The year was 1892...

10 posts in this topic

...and the Chicago Worlds Fair was gathering a great deal of attention. As most of us know, the Columbian Exposition was a time during which many manufacturing innovations were being brought to the attention of the world industrial community. One of the curious innovations of the time was the use of (then quite expensive) aluminum for industrial and home use. Then, the metal was a novelty in the eyes of most of the public. So to see a medal struck from this light, hard metal was probably fairly weird. With no more 893blahblah.gif, here's a very nice medal I plucked from eBay a while back. It's back from NGC in a Medal MS64 holder...

655809-1892-3ILHK-174SC%241CEMS64NGCobv04-376.jpg

655812-1892-3ILHK-174SC%241CEMS64NGCrev04-376.jpg

I can't tell you much about this piece, as I lack the reference work (and don't know what it is) for attribution of the piece. NGC lists it as 1892-3 IL HK-174 SC$1 World's Columbia Expo. I know the IL is for Illinois, and the SC$1 is for a "so-called dollar," but I'm ignorant of the HK reference work, not being very familiar with medals in general.

The devices are pretty self-explanatory, but exceptionally cool, IMO. I've not seen this piece anywhere else, eBay included, so I feel lucky to have snagged it.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Hoot

589a8d77a1cca_655809-1892-3ILHK-174SC1CEMS64NGCobv04-376.jpg.11399ea6815a05239c9bf9eea29fe926.jpg

That is one cool piece, Hoot. I was just reading another post across the street about so-called dollars yesterday. As you would expect, the HK is the initials of the two authors who "wrote the book" on these. I can't remember the names off hand.

Theire are a lot of interesting medals of that era and if I had any clue what they were worth I might risk picking up a few myself. I have the same problem with Conder tokens. I like them but have no idea what to pay for one.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice piece Hoot. thumbsup2.gif

As you know, I’ve taken an interest in these medals and have been able to pick up a few nice ones of far. The HK number refers to the writers of the standard reference for these pieces. It was written by Hibler and Kappen in 1963, and the title was ‘So Called Dollars’ I believe. The book cataloged each of the So Called Dollars, assigning an HK# and a price value (as of 1963).

The book has been out of print for years, and I have been told that they go for $75 & up if you can find a copy. I have been trying to find a copy of the book myself, but have had no luck so far.

If you ever want to sell your piece Hoot, you know how to reach me. wink.gif

John

Thanks for the info on HK, Greg and John. I'll have to look for it now. I know a token dealer, and perhaps he can be of help.

John - You're first on my list to offer my ENTIRE COLECTION! 893whatthe.gifsmile.gif

Hoot

Hi Hoot,

A very nice piece also known as a World Globe Dollar HK#174,a great many medals from the Columbian Expo are listed in the book (154-243-b) and are also catolouged by Elgit. Aluminum being used in medals was very new in that time as the refining and manufacturing costs had to drop greatly and this Expo was one of the first where you see them appear. Nice to find one in that shape as many around are scuffed and dinged.

regards,

dealmakr

that is an incredible medal hoot the details and debth is nothing short of superb 893applaud-thumb.gif

the condition for this medal i am assuming it is made out of aluminum 893scratchchin-thumb.gif white metal 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and the condition as such is superb

in fact amazing eye appeal superb technical aspects and

fantastic condition

michael