• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree after re holder of coin

7 posts in this topic

I asked in 'Ask NGC' but I don't guess they thought it was important enough to answer so i will ask the general population here.

If I purchased a coin in a NGC holder, and that holder has a pedigree on the label and then I decide to send it in for conservation and re holdering, does the provenance continue (does the pedigree label get transferred to the new holder)?

"Ask NGC" is usually pretty good about answering questions, but it may take a few days.

FWIW, I don't know why a pedigree would change just because the coin is being conserved. I guess this could happen for a particular attribution, but not a pedigree.

Chris

I asked in 'Ask NGC' but I don't guess they thought it was important enough to answer so i will ask the general population here.

If I purchased a coin in a NGC holder, and that holder has a pedigree on the label and then I decide to send it in for conservation and re holdering, does the provenance continue (does the pedigree label get transferred to the new holder

in general yes the pedigree would transfer.......................... and if any any unforseen circumstances would arise ngc would let you know....................... it does happen

I would make sure I put on the invoice in BOLD letters "PLEASE KEEP PEDIGREE ON THE LABEL" just in case. It could also give you something to fall back on to get it corrected in case they forget to.

Does the pedigree show up on a certificate # look up? If so it should still be there if they do leave it off the label since the number doesn't change. (But if it is there then you would think the computer would automatically print it on the label when it prints the label for the new slab.)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The pedigree will automatically transfer if it was printed along with the grading information, as that means it is included on the grading screen. If the pedigree is pre-printed on the label before grading, then it will transfer only if NGC still has such labels in stock.

Thanks for all the info.

The piece I have my eye on says EX. JOHN J. FORD JR. on the label and is not like a EPN label so based on your answer David, I think I would be covered if I chose to go that route.