• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric Newman Collection

7 posts in this topic

My collection when I'm gone

I was talking to my wife about the Eric Newman collection that was recently auctioned off. I told her about how a lot of his great coins were purchased for less than $100. I think we got about 6 good miles before she put in her headphones and told me the conversation was over. lol

I also thought about how gut wrenching it must be for Mr. Newman to watch his life's work be broken up. Even though the proceeds are going toward the advancement of numimatics, I don't think I could bear to watch. I have given my wife instructions on how to disperse of my collection, if our future kids choose not to keep it, but I want to be long gone before that ever happens.

On a happier note, we received a shipment of $20s for the ATMs last week. As we were verifying the shipment, I of course, was looking for stars and serial numbers. I found four good ones: MH19851985A, MH19871987A, MH19861986A and MH19861201A. The last note, the 201 in the bottom right corner has a really nice smear, which I believe happened at the BEP.

I hope you're all finding what you need and more importantly WANT for your collections.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

I was talking to my wife about the Eric Newman collection that was recently auctioned off. I told her about how a lot of his great coins were purchased for less than $100.

I think it all comes out in the wash. Just think about how many of the mediocre (at best, over graded at worst) coins that sold for many times their reasonable value simply because of the pedigree.

Nice finds on the $20 notes; btw! (thumbs u

Newman's collection was a base for research. What mattered were the ability to reference new items against ones of known history, and to verify, revise or add to existing knowledge. The "grade" really was not nearly as important as the knowledge contained in the coin.

A lot of modern collectors equate value with money, and that was/is not true.

...I also thought about how gut wrenching it must be for Mr. Newman to watch his life's work be broken up. Even though the proceeds are going toward the advancement of numimatics

I would not assume that it's a gut wrenching experience for Mr. Newman. I think it's as or more likely a very proud and happy occasion for him.

...I also thought about how gut wrenching it must be for Mr. Newman to watch his life's work be broken up. Even though the proceeds are going toward the advancement of numimatics

I would not assume that it's a gut wrenching experience for Mr. Newman. I think it's as or more likely a very proud and happy occasion for him.

I would call it bitter-sweet. ;) But yes----he should be proud. :)

Best line on the boards this year! Thank you

Best line on the boards this year! Thank you

Agreed. Value doesn't not equal price. A price is set. Value is relative. The price of an ounce of gold might be $1,200. But if you were lost in a desert, a gallon of water would have more value to you than a thousand ounces of gold.