• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Base Ball Hall of Fame 50C Coin error???

2 posts in this topic

Sorry to bother you all, and I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area. I have looked and can't find other questions like this one so I posted it here.

I recently purchaced 3 BBHOF .50c coins from the mint. I just became a member to NGC and submitted them in for grading. Hopefully this will be the first of many for me.

Before I sent them in, I examined them with my eye loop 15 power and on 1 of the coins at about 2 oclock half way between the tip of glove and the rim I noticed a pit in the material about .010" - .013" long by .004" wide and appeared to be about .002" - .003" deep. Sorry I'm a machinist, working with these numbers is my living. Anyway, it was a pit in the material.

On one of the other coins it had the same kind of pit on it, only it was at about 5 oclock between glove and the rim. They both are very hard to see with the naked eye, but stand out like a sore thumb under an eye loop. To me, they almost look like a seperation of material. The 3rd one I couldn't find a flaw on it.

Are these classified as a mint error?

Should I have even sent those 2 in?

Should I have sent them back to the Mint?

I took pictures of them before I sent them off but it is really really hard to see the pits I am talking about or I would put them here.

Thanks for your Time.

Bill H.

• Administrator

Thanks for the question. Without seeing the coin it would not be possible to say for certain whether NGC would recognize it as a Mint Error. Generally a Mint Error must be considered "significant" for NGC to recognize it as such. If it requires a 15x loupe to see, it would probably not be considered significant.