• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmm, How Shall We Commemorate the Big Victory Over France?

34 posts in this topic

I know, how about we strike some thalers!

Here’s my latest addition:

653563-WurtenburgVictoryThaler.jpg

It’s a Victory thaler from Wurtemburg commemorating the German victory over France in the Franco Prussian war. It was everything you could want from A French defeat: armies smashed Napoleon III captured, Paris invested, provinces surrendered and indemnities paid.

The Kingdoms of Saxony, Bavaria and Prussia also struck thalers to commemorate the victory. In theory I’ve been working on a set of these for about a year but this is the first actual coin I’ve added. I found it on J. Pater’s website and with a nice picture and the previous accuracy of his descriptions it had to come . I’m looking forward to hunting down the remaining three thalers.

-JamminJ

I like the coin, but I don't like bashing France, a great country full of people who admire and respect America. It's a shame it's become the bushrage to mock France. Shame on you.

It's a great coin, but france is a country that hates the US. I can't blame them. If I were from a once proud country that held significant power in the world and was reduced in a relatively short amount of time to a footnote in history and creamy sauce maker, I'd be bitter too.

BTW, I believe this is the second issue of Victory Over France talers. It seems to be a common theme among German coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In a few short years, Greg may have to learn French or Chinese in order to keep his job once these nations take over most US corporations. I read a newspaper article today that states the Chinese are quietly selling US treasury notes, a very, very bad sign for a weak US economy.

BTW, are you going to the Fremont coin show Dec. 4? I'll be there.

TRUTH

Je ne crois pas.

Too bad. frown.gif I hear they will be giving out free metal detector tote bags. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

On a deja plusieurs. Merci comme meme.

If I were from a once proud country that held significant power in the world and was reduced in a relatively short amount of time to a footnote in history and creamy sauce maker, I'd be bitter too.

You are so wrong. Some of their sauces are neither creamy nor bitter.

Je ne crois pas.

Hey, TJ. Like, comment ca va? hi.gif

Tu ne crois pax, alors tu n'existes pas? insane.gif

smirk.gif Ca va. Et toi? Comment marche l'auto-biz?

I can't believe the French speakers have taken over my thread on a German Victory thaler. sumo.gif

-JamminJ

The Germans always needed a good French tailor (or was that thaler?) to suit them. smirk.gif

Hoot

Je ne crois pas.

Ca va bien. Merci!

Je ne crois pas.

Ca va bien. Merci!

foreheadslap.gifboo.giftonofbricks.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

-JamminJ

azz, mine, kiss

Masking of profanity is a violation of the TOS. Strike 1 coming up!

wüss

azz, mine, kiss

Masking of profanity is a violation of the TOS. Strike 1 coming up!

wüss

I can see why you are such a bad influence on The Thing! 893naughty-thumb.gif