• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

handcut steel die by famous engraver alphonse a. kolb worked for bastian bros.

3 posts in this topic

here is a really neat hand cut die by a master artist who is known by many he did most of his work the first half of the 20th century and worked for the bastian bros. company in rocxhester ny that produced many of the pins medals tokens and other items for many large organizations for many years

a.a. kolb lived in rochester ny and was a member of the rochester numismatic club where i am a member also and he donated some of his dies to the club many decades ago and i think he passed away in the late 1970's early 1980's

this particiular die is hand cut but not signed by kolb overall it is the size of a small hockey puck and had a silver half dollar size strike with an engraved fancy large A and the letters in the A of another largerS then in the top and bottom on the insides of the S the letter R on top and below the lettewr M which stands for Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences whichis located on east avenue in rochester ny within 4 blocks of the geroge eastman house

the museum is now called the rochester museum and science center and this is where we have our local club meetings there is a loop at the top so when this die struck this item it was meant to be used as a watch fob and i am assuming given out to or sold to male members /employees? of the rochester ny museum organization

this die was just deassestioned from the rochester numismatic assoc holdings founded in 1912 by dr. george t french the famous large cent collector

it is a die for a watch fob so it is cross collectible and is a really neat item of an nicely hand engraved steel die by a famous die cutter aa kolb and is in great condition

so to sum things up

early 1930's? possibly earlier

steel die made

by aa kolb at bastian bros rochester ny

watch fob rochester museum of arts and sciences

this die is for sale at $35 plus 7dollars for shipping and insurance total 42 dollars

please pm me

michael

hi there victor 893applaud-thumb.gif

well thaT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THIS DIE IT IS REALLY RARE AND HISTORICAL AND TODAY BY A SKILLED ENGRAVER WOULD COST MANY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO CUT and really historical and cross collectible yay.gifyay.gif

BUT THE PROBLEM IS the collectors are rarer 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

michael