• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 Gold Kennedy Half Dollar

9 posts in this topic

Under what authority does the US Mint have to produce this coin since 2014 already has 2 Commemorative Coins and from what I understand, the Commemorative Coin Act of 1996 limited the US Mint to producing only 2 commems per year?

I understand that they can have certain design limitations but at what point does the authority exist for creating a coin of a different metallic content other than what has already been authorized (i.e. CnClad, 90% Silver)?

Those subsections govern the production of the current Gold Eagles (7), (8), (9), (10) and 1 ounce gold coins bearing certain required subscriptions.

Right?

Those subsections govern the production of the current Gold Eagles (7), (8), (9), (10) and 1 ounce gold coins bearing certain required subscriptions.

Right?

"Under 31 U.S.C. § 5112(i)(4)©, the Secretary of the Treasury has broad authority to prescribe procedures and specifications for the minting and issuance of new gold coins, including the diameter, weight, fineness, or design."

The 2009 UHF was created with this authority and so will the 2014 24k gold Kennedy Half.

"Under 31 U.S.C. § 5112(i)(4)©, the Secretary of the Treasury has broad authority to prescribe procedures and specifications for the minting and issuance of new gold coins, including the diameter, weight, fineness, or design."

But not denomination so he doesn't have the authority for a gold fifty cent piece. (He also didn't have the authority for a gold $20 coins, the 2009 UHF.)