• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-holder question

15 posts in this topic

You'd be out round trip postage plus a $10 reholdering fee (and I think an additional $8 service charge per invoice). Why do you care about the hologram?

You'd be out round trip postage plus a $10 reholdering fee (and I think an additional $8 service charge per invoice). Why do you care about the hologram?

I've got a couple like that and will also get them reholdered. It's not just the hologram for me, but I want to get them in an edge view. BTW, didn't you know we all have OCD?

I was offered a nice price for it (more than double what I paid) based on coin only pictures so I mailed it out. The guy is returning because lack of hologram...could also be buyers remorse...but I'd ratheR not a repeat down the road.

I was offered a nice price for it (more than double what I paid) based on coin only pictures so I mailed it out. The guy is returning because lack of hologram...could also be buyers remorse...but I'd ratheR not a repeat down the road.

If you want to avoid a repeat, next time, show a picture of the holder, too.

If you want to avoid a repeat, next time, show a picture of the holder, too.

Wow!!! Just realized I overlooked the obvious....embarrassed!

I have gotten coin re-holdered because the slab was scratched, I don't do that much any more after I discovered automobile headlight polisher. I would never pay to have it done because of a missing or damaged hologram.

Generally I avoid buying coins that have to re-holdered after I hade to pay PCGS almost $50 to get one done. That was what cost for the re-holder plus the invoice fee plus the return postage. After that I learned my lesson. Don't buy coins in badly scratched holders!

I don't do that much any more after I discovered automobile headlight polisher.

I have often wondered if that would work on these slabs but was reluctant to try. I may just try that in the future now, if I ever happen upon a scratched up slab.

I have a couple of my proof coins that when I received them from an auction house, the auction label was across the hologram. When I tried removing the label the hologram came off too (older holders). Also some of my older proof holders the plastic is scratched or cloudy. So when I try photographing them the coin does not come out nearly as clear as it appears in hand. I thought about submitting them for re-holder, however, besides the cost, my concern is lost in shipping. Even if I insure the coin, which I always do, in the back of my mind I think that say this coin has a population of 3 or 4 at that grade and it is lost. So what if I collect the insurance, which I am not sure how well that would go with USPS, how would I ever replace it. So I do not submit them. I live with a cloudy photo and/or no hologram.

On the automobile headlight polish: Get a can of good ole Brasso and it will do the deal on holders, watch faces and anything plastic that you need to get the scratches out. Once you do it you will see that it works GREAT!!!

Bud

GelhausCollection

Watch for a coin shows in your area. NGC attends most, if not all the major shows. You can drop your coins off for re-holdering and pick them. No hassles with the mail.

John

I have gotten coin re-holdered because the slab was scratched, I don't do that much any more after I discovered automobile headlight polisher. I would never pay to have it done because of a missing or damaged hologram.

Generally I avoid buying coins that have to re-holdered after I hade to pay PCGS almost $50 to get one done. That was what cost for the re-holder plus the invoice fee plus the return postage. After that I learned my lesson. Don't buy coins in badly scratched holders!

Especially if PCGS ships the coin back in their blue boat, that can easily add $15 to a shipment. Because of high shipping costs I just tell them if at all possible to ship in a flat rate mailer, not a big box, CAC will only ship in the big box though and no credit cards with them. With the grading services sometimes you have to ask them several times to ship in the flat mailer.

Just factor the cost of reholdering the coin in to your bottom line (so as long as it isn't scratched so as to obscure problems under the slab).

Just factor the cost of reholdering the coin in to your bottom line (so as long as it isn't scratched so as to obscure problems under the slab).

Yeah, if the holder is badly scratched to the point I can't see the coin I won't buy it. It is especially difficult with proof coins. If it is moderately scratched then as long as I can get a decent photo of it I could care less if it's scratched. Hologram..meh...no way I waste my money on reholdering that...I live about 8 miles from PCGS and it still costs > $10 for postage!

jom