• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cherry Picking an unknown Liberty Nickle 1883 double die reverse...

6 posts in this topic

Hello all-

I've recently been looking through my small coin collection, and spotted what looks like a double die on a Liberty Head Nickel 1883. I checked the Cherry Pickers Guide 5th. ed., and see an 1883 variety, but it's not mine.

Question: What does a person typically do if they've discovered, what might possibly be, unknown variety?

Mine has the doubling on the reverse in the word 'United'.

Thanks for any opinions in advance; greatly appreciated.

See super detailed images here

20140413_DSC_0003_opt1.jpg

20140413_20140412_220104_opt_opt.jpg

20140413_DSC_0004_opt.jpg

20140413_20140412_220104_opt_opt_opt.jpg

Based on those images, I don't see anything that looks like a doubled die. Of course, better pictures might change my opinion. My gut feeling is that you're probably looking at machine doubling. (shrug)

I don't see a doubled die either. Might be machine doubling, or might be a double striking, but I would need to see similar "super-detaild" pictures of other areas as well.

I responded to your other thread a couple of weeks ago as did a few other fairly knowledgeable people. From your photos, it looks flat and shelf-like which leads me to believe that it is machine doubling.

The fact that it is not listed in the CPG or on the CONECA site would be a good indication that it is not a doubled die. With that said, you should also be aware that not all varieties are listed in the CPG even though they may already be known. As J.T. Stanton once told me, "If every variety was listed in the CPG, the book would be huge!" When the 5th Edition was released, they endeavored to include varieties that could be relatively easier to find for the everyday collector.

Chris