• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perimeter-toned Kennedys

14 posts in this topic

These are pretty cool, aren't they? Come on, admit it. They all just up and decided to tone in the same place. We have a theory on that. Well, it's not a theory on why these decided to tone in the same place, but a theory on why these many times are inclined to tone from the perimeter in. Or, at least, that's been our observation. These were all in 2X2 cardboard flips and they were stored in bags among hundreds of others, most of those in 2X2 cardboard flips (maybe 80% of them), as well. Our theory is it has something to do with the displacement of the metal in the aftermath of the strike. Why? I'll give you our whole rationale, it sounds neat. It does, doesn't it?

OK, you know where this is going, what's your theory? We don't think non-silvers are inclined to tone like this, from the perimeter in, mostly just silvers (90%s and 40%s). Or, again, that's been our observation.

146985.jpg.0bad09c6080db94a6025574d13eb1f70.jpg

146986.jpg.8dd5c2b16df2f761f4e9a0257958cdc0.jpg

146987.jpg.e61cc82dc44754e070eb143c7821f409.jpg

Looks to me that these were in a coin album for X years and then they were transferred over (maybe at the time of a sale?) to 2 X 2's.

"Our theory is it has something to do with the displacement of the metal in the aftermath of the strike. Why? I'll give you our whole rationale..."

Please do.

These coins are heavily coated in residues that, when combined with environmental factors, resulted in toning, splotching, and haze.

It is possible that grease imparted onto the coins by mint machinery during striking tended to flow into certain parts of the field, resulting in later discoloration. However, die grease is more likely a random splatter, and these coins were likely abused on there years in rolls or bags before going in to 2x2s.

Are you saying that coin albums don't result in peripheral toning patterns? In my experience, silver tones more quickly than copper nickel clad.

I was under the impression that there was already a pretty solid "theory" as to why coins so often have toning around the perimeter, or starting from the perimeter-inward. Although Zinc plated copper will surely react differently over time than say 90% silver coinage, nickel, cents, etc.. I believe its all based on the same "theory". I am guessing these coins were removed from a album at some point, and flipped.

I actually have a Kennedy album that is full of mostly clad Kennedys... All toned, many/most being rainbow toned, with fairly vibrant colors being that they're clad coinage, the 8 silvers are probably the best toned Kens Ive seen... Many are target toned, with rainbows inward... I am thinking about sending the whole album for grading.

Looks to me that these were in a coin album for X years and then they were transferred over (maybe at the time of a sale?) to 2 X 2's.

Sky, that's a nice Franklin you got posted. For the benefit of your theory on how that may have toned, these Kennedys may have been in albums, as they may have been among our roll-search finds. We had a lot of $200 bags of these (90%s and 40%s), some of the contents of which were roll-search finds, meaning we don't know how those may have been stored prior to that. All we know is, we never stored these in albums.

"Our theory is it has something to do with the displacement of the metal in the aftermath of the strike. Why? I'll give you our whole rationale..."

Please do.

With all due respect, I'll ask the questions, here, you boys find the answers. :)

In my experience, silver tones more quickly than copper nickel clad.

I think that's right. I'm wondering if the perimeter is more porous. The psi has to be the highest in the middle. I'm dancing, I know. Somebody wants to cut in and help out, I'm a gentleman.

In my experience, silver tones more quickly than copper nickel clad.

I think that's right. I'm wondering if the perimeter is more porous. The psi has to be the highest in the middle. I'm dancing, I know. Somebody wants to cut in and help out, I'm a gentleman.

You're dancing with a Kennedy! Don't put your Cuban out yet.

Chris