• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterstamped

5 posts in this topic

Are you expressing disbelief in the article you read or are you trying to find people who collect counterstamped coins?

If it's the former, then, although I don't collect counterstamped coins, allow me to assure you that there are people who do.

Over the decades I've been collecting coins I've read many interesting articles on counterstamped coins in a number of numismatic publications. Because these coins are uncommon and can be tied to a specific place and time, some collectors are willing to pay more for a counterstamped coin than they would for a non-counterstamped coin of the same date, mintmark and grade.

On the other hand, if you're trying to find counterstamped collectors, let me suggest that a post that could be interpreted as an expression of disbelief is probably not going to be received as a particularly friendly approach.

One of the marketing programs that the commission selling the Stone Mountain Half Dollar was to counterstamp them. Here is an example:

AN61492077-rz.jpg

For the most part, they do sell for more than a non counterstamped example.