• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Does It To Me Again

4 posts in this topic

After my last submittal to NGC, I said I would never submit another coin to them. I had submitted a colorful Roosevelt for grading and variety attribution. The coin came back AT and with the wrong label of the variety. I could not argue about the AT even both the seller and I did not agree with them. But the wrong variety really bothered me. So I said that was it for me submitting anything to NGC. I have continually have had problems with them. But I relented and had two proof coins in older style holders with very low NGC certification numbers that I felt had a very good shot at a star designation. These are ultra cameo Roosevelt and Washington coins with very strong obverse cameo. I was having problems filling out the online form for submittal so I called customer service and a young lady walked me through the form. I was submitting only for star designation so she had me check designation, which I did. I asked if that was all I needed to do and she said yes. So I sent them in and received them back today. No review of the coins was done and a form was attached that said the submitter did not designate what he wanted them reviewed for. They charged me for the review, handling, and shipping. Counting my shipping and insurance I spent $90 to give the two coins a ride to Florida and back. The form that was attached had a short list of items that the coins could be reviewed for such as MS, PF, cameo, ultra cameo, FBL, etc. in looking at the list there was only one category that the two coins could be reviewed for - star. I did not submit (or check) variety, crossover, or re-grade. So star was it. Now the submittal form has my phone number and e-mail address. Don't you think that if there was a question they could put the submittal on hold and send an e-mail? If there had been a problem with the payment for sure I would have heard about it. But instead they just charged me for the designation review and sent them back to me. I called NGC and they said I should have written anywhere on the form that it was for a star review. I asked why there is not a place under designation for the type to be entered. They did not have an answer for that. So today I hauled the two coins to my safe deposit box and made a vow never ever submit another coin to NGC for any reason. There I got that rant off my chest, but I am still not happy.

I would post the photos but I do not know how to do it from my Ipad. But if you go to the Registry and the Proof Sets 1936-1964, then look at 1957 Gelhaus Collection Jim's 1957 proof set, the dime and quarter are shown there. Sorry I can't just link them.

No prob. I just checked it out. And lemme first say...Awesome Roosevelt proof sets! Really nice! And man, I just sold a 1955 Roosevelt proof, I think you woulda loved. It was only a PF 68 (NGC), but it was one of the most toned Roosevelt proofs I've ever owned. Here's is a terrible iPhone photo of the obv. that I still have:

29b2ekk.jpg

The rev. was the same color and consistency. It needed to be reslabbed. You can see scuffs on the slab in the photo at 12 o'clock on the coin. But it was a real looker in person. And now that I'm looking at it again, I'm having seller's remorse. But I digress.

Both the Roosevelt and Washington look pretty sweet to me in the photos. So do you think that NGC didn't even evaluate the coins for star designation just because you didn't write the word "star" it in?

It's been two or three months that I've send any coins in for Designation Review. (I collect the '46 to '64 business struck Roosevelts, so I'm looking for FT designations) But I don't remember having to write anything in when doing the online submission. Although, like I said it has been a few months, so I could be wrong.

(BTW. Everyone has their own ways of posting photos here. But the easiest way I've found is:

#1 take photos with iPhone or iPad

#2 email the photos to yourself

#3 upload the photos to tinypic from laptop/PC

#4 copy the IMG code and paste it into the post

You can actually skip #2 and just upload the photos to tinypic directly from your iPad, but I'd personally rather use my laptop than phone or iPad just because it's easier/faster for me to use.)