• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS Commemorative Coins?

14 posts in this topic

Has there ever been a commemorative or any other kind of U.S. gov. issued coin featuring the USPS?

Yes and no! It seems that they all disappeared in shipping via the USPS, so the Treasury Department demonetized and recalled all of them. However, none were ever recovered because the mail carriers didn't want to lose their jobs.

Chris :devil:

There was one proposed by Congress but the Postal folks objected to the new motto: "Better Late than Never." ;)

There was one proposed by Congress but the Postal folks objected to the new motto: "Better Late than Never." ;)

(thumbs u

No. Why would there be? I can think of a hundred other things that would be more important and interesting to be on a coin.

No offense to any postal workers here, of course. You do an essential job. But so do a lot of other people.

Having a USPS commem would be like having a auto worker's union commem, and then we could follow that up with a longshoremen's commem, and then a teacher's commem.... Or we could go with the bureaucratic series... an EPA commem, and a FHA commem, and the best of them all, an IRS commem...

No. Why would there be? I can think of a hundred other things that would be more important and interesting to be on a coin.

No offense to any postal workers here, of course. You do an essential job. But so do a lot of other people.

Having a USPS commem would be like having a auto worker's union commem, and then we could follow that up with a longshoremen's commem, and then a teacher's commem.... Or we could go with the bureaucratic series... an EPA commem, and a FHA commem, and the best of them all, an IRS commem...

Or The Great Depression, End of Prohibition comm. and how about epic government program failures. :roflmao:

I can see this being the next quarter series........ hm

How about a commemorative for epic private business failures and scandals? Lots more to choose from than gov'mt stuff.

I've got it! How about a commem for Mom's Apple Pi carried to 1,000,000 places?

Chris

I can see this being the next quarter series........ hm

:roflmao:

I've got it! How about a commem for Mom's Apple Pi carried to 1,000,000 places?

Chris

Wouldn't that just be a U.S. National Debt commem?

Laugh all you want, but while I doubt we would see an auto workers, Longshoreman, or teachers commem, I would not put it past the governemtn to issue commems for various government bureaus. We've had the Constitution, the Congress, the White House, the bill of rights, the Capital Building, the Smithsonian, The Botanic Gardens, the Library of Congress, the Capital Visitor Center (Which didn't even exist at the time), Supreme Court Justice Marshall, etc. The idea of them honoring government Bureaus doesn't seem like that great a stretch.

And why not have a coin honoring a stamp or the post office? They've had at least two stamps with coins/numismatics.