• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1848 large cent

8 posts in this topic

well for 21 bucks I thought it looked a lot better than most of the large cents you see on ebay for that price range. a choice xf example in that year and grade would be 75 at least. A little verdicare will help that small green area I think. Will most likely resell the coin and hopefully make a couple bucks.

EF sharpness, but dark and corroded surfaces. The price paid is actually a bit high, given the problem. The fact that they are showing only the obverse might be an indicator of more problems.

Some people here don't care for this coin for whatever reasons, but this is more like what you should be looking for in a higher grade (EF-40) circulated large cent.

1853LargeCentO.jpg1853LargeCentR.jpg

Okay I pushed the arrows and saw the reverse. Yes, there is active corrosion in the area of "IC" in "AMERICA."

got the coin today and discovered the surfaces to be a nice chocolate brown and fairly smooth. The green coloration was on surface and came off with verdicare pretty easily. Took the coin to a local shop and got $38 for it. Sometimes pics do not tell the whole story if they are bad ones.