• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is anyone else as unhappy with Hall of Fame coin program as I am?

31 posts in this topic

To me the whole Hall of Fame coin program really stinks. Pretty much the whole mintage of $5 gold pieces was sold at the Baltimore coin show. I doubt that I will ever be able to buy that piece in the original mint package, which is way I collect modern commemorative piece. I DON'T want it in a slab.

I placed an order four days after the program was introduced, and all I've got is a mint bag I don't want and a backorder that won't be filled until mid July if it is to be filled at all. By then all coins they will be shipping will be the scratched up pieces that others rejected and sent back to the "Fulfillment Center."

Overall I'm finding this whole experience with the Hall of Fame coins a very dissatisfying experience. This not fun, and this hobby is supposed to fun. Maybe it's time for me to stop collecting the modern stuff. I am a VERY unhappy customer.

I really think with a limited issued Comm that it shouldn't have been sold at a show that was only accessible to those that lived close or were wealthy enough to travel to it. It's basically a shot at the average working collector. I also agree that with those of us that have b/o's in june and july will probably be receiving returned comms with damaged packaging and scratched airtites. I like these in ogp also and hope this doesn't become the case. But, what can you do? Do have at least one in my collection, I'll have to settle with what I get.

I agree with you Bobby. Selling a large portion of the mintage at a coin show is not a good idea. I think they were trying to mimic the interest generated when releasing the Reverse Proof Golf Buffalo.

Anyway, I'm not in the Mint marketing department, but from an outsiders view, their last few commem releases have been a disaster, sales wise. Maybe they felt this HOF had the same chance of failure and wanted to make a big splash.

IMO, the reason some of the recent commems were sales disaster's is directly related to the awful designs. I like collecting the modern commems, but I'm not compelled to have a complete collection. Because today's modern coin designs are old, tired, and unimaginative, I will buy modern commems when I like the design.

Bill, I think you have a right to be mad about the gold coin situation. Just a big mistake by the U.S. Mint sales/marketing department.

I wasn't participating in any forums when the 1995 Gold Set was released, so I didn't learn from feedback about the outcome until it was long past. But, I did learn from first-hand experience, in addition to collector feedback, upon the release of the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set and the Fractional Gold Buffaloes, and this left a bad taste in my mouth. By the time the Mint got around to releasing the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set, I was no longer participating in the Mint programs.

It doesn't matter what restrictions the Mint places on orders, if you have deep enough pockets, you can always find a way to beat the system.

Chris

The Mint wants to sell the commemorative coins they have been ordered by Congress to make. They are not interested in after-market availability, profit or loss....that is all up to the commercial marketplace.

The mint limited the gold HOF commemorative coins to 50 per household. FIFTY!!!! What was the mint thinking? No wonder the gold sold out on the first day.

The mint limited the gold HOF commemorative coins to 50 per household. FIFTY!!!! What was the mint thinking? No wonder the gold sold out on the first day.

^This. It wasn't so much that it was sold at the show as it was the high limit per customer. It is certain many dealers had access at that show but many probably got away with buying their own allotment and then sent others to buy more. A lower limit per customer might have worked better.

As to the slab vs. OGP thing: I hear ya Bill but the market seems to be demanding MS70 (or whatever) slabs. I mean, who doesn't think about it when slab pieces go for 3X (or more) on eBay?

jom

We all pay taxes, and many of us are long time mint customers. As such we should have had a better opportunity to acquire at least one coin. I am really getting tired of the mint's games.

This stunt they pulled in Baltimore may have been the last straw for me. They had enough coins to sell there for three days. Yet for those who ordered coins over the Internet there is a three month backlog with a strong possibility that those customers will get nothing or the dregs that the flippers rejected.

All I have is a useless mint bag I don't want for which I have had to pay $4.95 shipping. If you are dumb enough to carry that thing around in public, you might as well hang a sign around your neck that says, "I collect coins. Follow me home and rob me!"

As to the slab vs. OGP thing: I hear ya Bill but the market seems to be demanding MS70 (or whatever) slabs. I mean, who doesn't think about it when slab pieces go for 3X (or more) on eBay?

I don't want a damned MS-70!!!! I want one decent Proof $5 gold coin for my collection. :mad:

I really think with a limited issued Comm that it shouldn't have been sold at a show that was only accessible to those that lived close or were wealthy enough to travel to it. It's basically a shot at the average working collector. I also agree that with those of us that have b/o's in june and july will probably be receiving returned comms with damaged packaging and scratched airtites. I like these in ogp also and hope this doesn't become the case. But, what can you do? Do have at least one in my collection, I'll have to settle with what I get.
I could not agree more.

Matter of fact, I do not believe that the US Mint is in anyway being "Fair" in releasing a limited edition coin, on release day, at a coin show.

It was not right, it was totally unfair, and I'm hoping that they never do it again from a policy standpoint.

I didn't like the 50 per household limit either. I also didn't like a commem that benefits the Baseball Hall of Fame! I think there's enough money in MLB already to support that w/o the help of Government. That said, given that this program was intended (and had the potential) to bring many new collectors into the hobby I was able to look past where the proceeds would be going. But with a limit of 50 per household and a quick sellout to big modern coin dealers and home shopping who used their networks of buyers to acquire thousands, very few new collectors will be coming to the hobby through these coins unless they pay substantial premiums in the secondary market. What a shame.

On the ordering page, the Mint expressly states that they reserve the right to adjust the household order limits. On the day these were released, I wrote an email to the Mint urging them to adjust the order limit down, even retroactively, as they had the clear authority to do so and since no collector needs 50 of these... or even 10 of them. Not sure if they have been shipping out to those with the huge orders yet, but seemingly the Mint doesn't care too much.

But with a limit of 50 per household and a quick sellout to big modern coin dealers and home shopping who used their networks of buyers to acquire thousands, very few new collectors will be coming to the hobby through these coins unless they pay substantial premiums in the secondary market. What a shame.

The mint's comeback to this criticism is that last couple of programs, like the Girl Scouts, didn't sell enough coins to provide a payment to the organization that was to benefit from the sales. The trouble is if the flippers perceive that an issue of commemorative coins is going to be dud, they won't buy them in the first place, so you are back to square one. (shrug)

The last time the mint had coins for sale at the Baltimore coin show it was during the time that the Star Spangled Banner coins were offered. One woman showed up there with a few half dollars and silver dollars for sale, but none of the gold pieces because she was afraid to bring them to the show for security reasons. I don't think that she sold much of anything at that show.

Now they commit a substantial portion of the authorized mintage of the gold coins, and it's over. Hardly anyone except the flippers get to buy them.

Why does it take three months to fill backorders? The only answer is that they are selling the rejects to the last customers. It should not take them three months to mint more coins.

The Mint wants to sell the commemorative coins they have been ordered by Congress to make. They are not interested in after-market availability, profit or loss....that is all up to the commercial marketplace.

I do not know that I agree with the general feeling of this statement as the US Mint has, on several occasions, adjusted their ordering system for a better distribution of their products. Whether they sold or not.

Case in point, the Washington and Adams Presidential Dollar Coin Covers. Nearly one fourth of the entire mintage was purchased by a couple of forum members. The end result was ordering limits during the 1st week of sales on subsequent issues.

The same thing occurred with the 1st Spouse coins.

The outrage of the general public which occurred during the 25th Anniversary Set Sales brought limits to subsequent offerings.

They do care about who gets what and really care about significant aftermarket premiums (otherwise why such an effort at minimizing mint errors?) however, I do not think that they should offer commemoratives, on release day, to a "LIMITED" audience!

This had to be an oversight and I am sure that they will address it in future offerings.

They do care about who gets what and really care about significant aftermarket premiums (otherwise why such an effort at minimizing mint errors?) however, I do not think that they should offer commemoratives, on release day, to a "LIMITED" audience!

Why didn't they cut off further sales when the first allotment was sold at the Baltimore coin show by mid Friday afternoon? They had more to sell on Saturday.

Why does it take three months to fill backlogged orders? It's because they are going to ship out the rejected coins that the flippers don't want. Why can't they sell quality coins to the Internet buyers? Answer, they don't care.

Why didn't they cut off further sales when the first allotment was sold at the Baltimore coin show by mid Friday afternoon? They had more to sell on Saturday.

Why does it take three months to fill backlogged orders? It's because they are going to ship out the rejected coins that the flippers don't want. Why can't they sell quality coins to the Internet buyers? Answer, they don't care.

I don't know Bill but I do know that they will respond to the complaint in some manner.

As I stated earlier, I think it was WRONG to offer these coins to a LIMITED Audience.

By that, I mean over the counter sales.

Am I frustrated with the US Mint? Absolutely! My subscriptions have been cut to the bare minimum to meet my collecting needs.

I don't care for what they offer (I'm still pissed that they eliminated a BUNCH of programs at the end of 2008 only to bring back even more worthless programs in 2011), I do not trust them AND, most importantly, I do NOT like their designs and their phoney production techniques. (Read as: phoney Cameo)

The quality simply sucks.

I agree also with all the programs the mints been coming out with has really lost my interest in them. I have also narrowed down my subscriptions to a bare minimum. If it wasn't for my proof set collection and my danscos, I would probably abandon the mint altogether. I still may as if you wait awhile, the stuff is cheaper on ebay than the original issue prices. Too much produced every year doesn't take long for people to tire of their products.

I don't want a damned MS-70!!!! I want one decent Proof $5 gold coin for my collection. :mad:

I understand and agree with you. However, if anyone sees some of the prices being made on the slabbed pieces what is really going to stop them from having them graded?

I do see where you are coming from and like I said I agree. If the mint had at least limited the number available "per household" (or whatever) you won't have to worry about it once you get your own example at release time.

jom

I could not agree more.

Matter of fact, I do not believe that the US Mint is in anyway being "Fair" in releasing a limited edition coin, on release day, at a coin show.

It was not right, it was totally unfair, and I'm hoping that they never do it again from a policy standpoint.

Couldn't agree more with both statements.

Also, all of my silver and clads had ship dates of 4/10 (I can pretty much kiss my gold away)....my card has been dinged, but orders still show 'in process', and the damned cancel boxes are still there. Theoretically, if I get boned (regardless of how small the % is, but knowing my luck sometimes on these special mint productions...) on these orders, all I'll have to show for it are 2 'reusable mint bags' for $4.95 each???? What kind of BS is that? Could this be happening to those who's gold orders are pushed to July....get your $4.95 bag, then have the order cancelled, yet still coughing up $5 (ea) for a bag that is novelty, at best???

This program was a nightmare for anyone not in the waiting room within 10 mins of the start of taking orders.

The outrage of the general public which occurred during the 25th Anniversary Set Sales brought limits to subsequent offerings.

Not quite.

The 25th did have a limit of 5 sets, with a mintage of 100K. With a limit of 50K Au HOF coins, even a limit of 5 coins would have had them selling out quickly. Just like with the 25th set, you just have to have a bunch of friends and relatives attempting to order. (Disclaimer. I only bought 5 sets. But there are plenty of others, even here, who had others buying sets for them.)

And what the outrage over the 25th sets actually brought was not limits, but unlimited sale and mintage for 30 days for the ASE and RP Gold Buffalo.

Which I believe brought out the complaints that the mint should limit mintages.

Then there are those who think the US Mint should limited mintages of coins to 10K like Perth. I can see what would result from that! :)

No matter what the conditions, people are going to complain about it. :P

I have cancelled all of my Mint subscriptions and very seldom order anything except for one-off situations like this one. I did get lucky and was in the waiting room quite early. But I got out of these coins as soon as I possibly could and am not looking back. I ordered a few of each and have already received, sold, and shipped them.

PS Oh yeah. The Mint bag. What a joke! WHO would carry that? "Please mug me, please, oh pretty please, I got gold, I got silver, I'm an easy target!"

Best Regards,

George

Doubt that muggers take the time to read bags. And even if they could read do you think they would know that something called the US Mint produces coins ?

More likely they think the bag pic is a candy wrapped in a gold foil.

Kramer " Who's gonna turn down a Junior Mint ? It's chocolate, its peppermint, its delicious !!!

Re: Mint errors.

An error coin is a defective product that does not meet legal standards for circulating currency. That is why the mint wants to minimize them - not because of collectors.

PS Oh yeah. The Mint bag. What a joke! WHO would carry that? "Please mug me, please, oh pretty please, I got gold, I got silver, I'm an easy target!"

I'd rather carry that bag the bad guys used to use in the old cartoons with the $ on the side.

jom

To me the whole Hall of Fame coin program really stinks. Pretty much the whole mintage of $5 gold pieces was sold at the Baltimore coin show. I doubt that I will ever be able to buy that piece in the original mint package, which is way I collect modern commemorative piece. I DON'T want it in a slab.

I placed an order four days after the program was introduced, and all I've got is a mint bag I don't want and a backorder that won't be filled until mid July if it is to be filled at all. By then all coins they will be shipping will be the scratched up pieces that others rejected and sent back to the "Fulfillment Center."

Overall I'm finding this whole experience with the Hall of Fame coins a very dissatisfying experience. This not fun, and this hobby is supposed to fun. Maybe it's time for me to stop collecting the modern stuff. I am a VERY unhappy customer.

It sounds to me that you are more upset with the U.S. Mint than with the Hall of Fame coin program. When I clicked on this thread, I was expecting to see a critic of the designs, their finishes, and their quality.

It is a bit disappointing that all three coins have pretty much the same design. The concave - convex shape is the only thing that is innovative about these coins.

I wasn't at the Baltimore show but probably would have stood in line to buy some of the coins.

But on another note, if so many people are unhappy with selling so many at coin shows, start a letter campaign to your Congressman! If enough people complain about the Mint show sales and the flippers getting so much of the product, Congressmen can bring some heat on the head of the Mint to maybe cut down limits. I would personally like a limit of TWO coined per person at shows no matter what coin it is. Flippers would still get some but more would get to those that would keep them.

You could type up a sample letter for people to use and post it for download, have people fill in their Congeessman's address, sign it and email or snail mail it.

I was reminded to order my HOF sets by a group of YN's

from the ANA Summer Seminars who were my students.

I thought the ordering time was at 3:00 PM, but I was in-

formed, that it was at 9:00 AM ESDT. The YN's out west

Were up early for college classes and were among the first

to get their orders in.

I called in at Approx. 12:30 PM, and was put into a two hour

queue. The time was trimmed the longer I waited and I actually

was let into their system in about an hour and 15 minutes.

The process went very smoothly, and I was able to get one of

each of the three coins in MS and PR. Last week the Half Dollars

arrived, and I was very impressed with the Proof... The MS, not so much.

Yesterday, I was notified that my two Silver Dollars are being shipped

today, and I am looking forward to their receipt. Once they arrive, I

believe the paperwork inside the box will advise me of when to expect

the two gold coins.

I too was shocked to hear of the ordering limits of these coins. Fifty Gold

Half Eagles is absurd, the limit should have been closer to 3 or 5 coins.

I feel badly for everyone who was shut out. The situation of selling the coins

directly from the Mint at Baltimore causing quite a commotion and disrupting

the show was uncalled for. The same thing happened when the Reverse Proof

Gold Buffalos were sold - at FUN. My two YN helpers were being paid I believe,

$150 additional per coin for a large bullion dealer ( no names mentioned ). That

stunt left me in a lurch, my helpers were standing in line for a few hundred bucks

an hour ( they each bought the max allowed ) and it made no difference to me at

that point. Retail sales had ground to a halt. If it were not for wholesale business,

that show would have been a flop.

A sell out as has been mentioned, has a lot to do with the theme and it's desirability

among the collecting public. The Star-Spangled Banner Commems, not the smartest

marketing venture of the Mint. No wonder that issue fell flat. Who wanted it ? I bought

a set of MS and PR for my raw set. ( Like Bill Jones, I prefer a raw set of Commems ) .

My Mint Purchases are now confined to Commems, & ASE Special issues but nothing

else. No more Proof sets, Mint sets, Bullion Gold, 1st Ladies Gold, Platinums, no more !!

The amount of funds tied up in this nonsense is crazy. I too side with Bill, enough is enough.

A good friend told be to box up all this chicken feed ( 50 Yr. accumulation of mint products)

and go out and buy a really decent coin with the proceeds. I keep threatening to do just that

when Silver hits $30 an Oz. again !!

I thought the ordering time was at 3:00 PM, but I was in-

formed, that it was at 9:00 AM ESDT

You were mis-informed. sales did start at Noon EDT so you got in just 30 minutes after sales started.

I too was shocked to hear of the ordering limits of these coins. Fifty Gold

Half Eagles is absurd, the limit should have been closer to 3 or 5 coins.

Sales limits were set high because the last few $5 gold commems haven't sold real well. maybe the mint should have realized that demand would be high for this one but you know what they say, hind-sight is 20-20.

I would personally like a limit of TWO coined per person at shows no matter what coin it is.

I wasn't at Baltimore. What was the per person sales limit at Baltimore for people standing in line? Was it the same as the online ordering limit or lower? Last year at the ANA they had a two coin per person limit I believe.

Doubt that muggers take the time to read bags. And even if they could read do you think they would know that something called the US Mint produces coins ?

More likely they think the bag pic is a candy wrapped in a gold foil.

Kramer " Who's gonna turn down a Junior Mint ? It's chocolate, its peppermint, its delicious !!!

You would be surprised what criminals know and what they can spot. They might have dropped out of school and can't read a word, but when something is your "profession" you get know how to spot a "customer."