• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Peace Dollars

10 posts in this topic

I'm curious to get your opinions on these two coins. Both are graded. I'm very pleased to have the coins, but I think they might be under graded and I want to get your feedback.

1921:

1921guessgrade_zps6b9c97de.jpg

1921MS64reverse_zpsbbb7391c.jpg

1927:

1927MS64CAC_zps11c434df.jpg

1927MS64CACreverse_zps0594282a.jpg

Top coin shows few hits, decent strike for this issue, but not too much luster. Might be graded down for subtle loss of original surfaces from toning/dipping. This is pretty hard to judge though - depends on photo technique. There's a little business on the cheek. I'm guessing it's graded at 64.

The bottom photo is a better quality photo (IMO), and shows what looks like average-nice luster for a 27. These often come pretty flat. Strike is excellent, but this is usually true on the 27. A little frost is evident between the feathers. There are a few reverse hits. There might be a few hairlines on the cheek/portrait. This is a very tough coin in 65, so I'm guessing it's graded 64 or 64+.

I like 'em both!

As I've learned more about grading Peace Dollars it's easy to put too much emphasis on the presence or lack of hits in photographs. When you hold them in-hand, they either have depth and boom to the luster or they're a little lifeless. Some will just glow & knock your socks off. This quality figures importantly in both eye appeal and grade.

My guess is that it's a pair of MS64's. But if the luster on the 1921 is as subdued as it appears in the images, an MS63 for it wouldn't surprise me.

The 1921 looks identical to an NGC MS65 I use to own, in fact I think it's the same coin. If it is my old 65 it's one CAC declined to sticker. As Mark noted, the luster is muted and it's really a strong 64.

The 1927 looks like a 65 to me.

Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate your comments. You all mentioned things that I also thought were holding these coins from a higher grade.

They are both MS64's. Mark nailed it.

The '21 has a lot more luster than the Heritage picture is showing. I liked it for the clean fields and cheek, the strong strike (for a '21) and what I felt would be decent luster. I'm very happy with the coin.

The '27 also has a green CAC sticker. I felt the coin might be undergraded. It has lots of luster, strong strike and very minimal contact marks. I felt that maybe the reverse held it back a little. There is some kind of contact mark on the reverse right field. I can't quite determine what it is under a 10x loupe. It's definitely a disturbance in the luster. I know a reverse can't help the obverse, but I believe it can hurt it and in this case, I think it did.

I was wondering whether I should send either of these in for re-grade, but your feedback convinced me these coins are properly graded. Thank you.

I think the 27-P has a decent shot at getting a plus grade if resubmitted. I've seen worse in 65 holders too. The little reverse issues you point out aren't too significant to me - that's why it's not a 66. It's a nice coin - probably visually prettier than the 65 I have. It's a bit if a tough grade to get though.

I think the 27-P has a decent shot at getting a plus grade if resubmitted. I've seen worse in 65 holders too. The little reverse issues you point out aren't too significant to me - that's why it's not a 66. It's a nice coin - probably visually prettier than the 65 I have. It's a bit if a tough grade to get though.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. It has beautiful golden toning evenly distributed over the entire surface. I felt it was undergraded when I bought it and wanted some experts opinions. The price takes a big jump (4x) at 65, so I would be extremely pleased if it did grade higher.