• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is the correct term Dentils or Denticles?

15 posts in this topic

Historical and cultural preferences.... like "toe-mA-toe" and "toe-mah-toe" ? Or maybe denticles vs flutes ? Or flutes vs trumpets?

In the footnotes, "From Mine to Mint" has some interesting British vs American minting terms.

Why not include denticule? It is the only term that can easily be turned into an adjective. Thus the inner rim of a coin is "denticulated".

I have to admit I've always called them denticals which is a word that doesn't actually exist. But I don't think I'm going to change.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've always used "denticles" in my writing, but "dentils" means the same thing in numismatics.

The are interlocking -- much like gear teeth, and were created in much the same way as were gear teeth.

I've always thought that a misplaced date punched in the denticles should be called an indenticlated date.

If they were twins, it would be called an identicle date.

Chris

To be strictly technical, going back to the latin derivation of these two terms, denticle is the diminutive, a small dentil. Since they're relative terms, the most appropriate usage of the two together is when you have notably different sizes of tooth-like structures to compare, with the larger ones being called dentils, and the smaller denticles. In the absence of a comparative context, the two terms become essentially interchangeable.