• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulving

15 posts in this topic

Coinweek did a good article on the Demise of this company.

The article lays out the signs to look for when there could be potential issues with the companies involved in bullion Buying and selling.

Martin

They ceased operations on March 3.

They also crapped out in 1991

MJ

They ceased operations on March 3.

They also crapped out in 1991

MJ

I was just going say that. He had a number of issues just about the time I got into the coin market. I remember a local dealer here in So Cal talking about him. Then later I heard he was back at it again....some things never change I guess.

jom

When i read about the Tulving Bankruptcy I had a couple of thoughts:

1) Are there any effects on the metal markets due to Tulvings closing?

a) are more customers buying from local shops or shows rather than wiring money to

online Dealers?

b)Did Tulving have much of an inventory which has been/ or will be liquidated?

Or did he have relatively small amounts of inventory near the end?

Tulving was just a blimp on the radar screen. No effect.

Their website might my been the worst of all time

MJ

Did this guy advertise and have pop-up ads ?

With MCM and APMEX, even if I didn't know anything and was new to purchases, I would recognize that a company that advertises extensively is less likely to be scamming or defrauding clients.

I sent out some warnings back in January with relevant links on Tulving. The alarm bells were seismic even last year with many, many orders not getting filled. There are many dealers whose only assets are in precious metals and certified coins and you hear stories from dealers who suffered significantly with the gold and silver collapse last year. It looks like Tulving was not properly hedged.

Another well known hard asset promoter looks to be in hot water, our good numismatic buddy Brett Bogus, but he says he intends to make full restitution: http://www.click2houston.com/news/former-houston-radio-financial-advisor-charged-with-felony/22361866

Personally I always found that he made good on coins I sold him.

It looks like our fellow collectors at CU forums agree with that, thematically: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=915513

I try to give dealers the benefit of the doubt as I have just been in numismatics since 1997. Many here go way back and have seen quite a few booms and busts.

I don't know how a thinly capitalized company survives in the gold and silver bullion business. The mark-ups are so thin, and all it takes is have a half way important correction in the bullion market, and they are up the spout.

You also have to be concerned with how investors who don't understand the precious metal markets will react when the prices go down. A bunch of them might be after you to buy back what you have sold them when the market is in free fall, which is just the time that you don't want to buy. I could also see where some of them might want to take out your kneecaps if they think you have cheated them.

I don't know if this guy is dishonest or not, but if he gets back in the business he had best not call his operation "Tulving III." The company name has been around for a long time, but its reputation has to be in the dustbin.

Brett Bogus

What a terribly unfortunate name.

If I were engaged in a business that involves trust, I think I'd be headed to court for a name change. ;)

Looking at his website, "The Meltdown" he touts his accomplishments:

Professional Accolades

• Featured in

Texas Monthly

• Put together

the Eagle Collection

• Founded three

different successful

brands

Professional Accolades (cont.)

• Consultant for

Houston PD

• Consultant for

IRS, Houston

• Consultant for

Secret Service

• Consultant for

NASA

As well as his career:

About Brett

A 25+ year veteran of the hard asset and precious metals industry, Brett Bogus has made a name for himself in Houston as the Coinmaven - the man you want to talk to when you have a question about rare coins, precious metals, and how to make the economic shifts work for you through knowledge about the hard asset market. Brett's simple, logical approach to portfolio management and financial insurance has helped people who poorly invested to turn their portfolios around and his forethought and advice have helped small investments turn large gains - significantly larger than what could be obtained from more "common" investment strategies.

About Brett (cont.)

A 20+ year Texan originally hailing from St. Louis, Brett Bogus went from working selling cars to becoming the precious metals division manager at Blanchard and Company to finally starting his own business and developing three seperate and successful brands. In the very little free time he affords himself, Brett travels to see concerts, spends time with his family, and continues to educate himself on the in's and out's of the financial industry.

http://www.themeltdown.com/

I'm not sure how much of this is fact--"building confidence".