• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1962 D franklin half dollar posted by wmfielding

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My first submission to ncs.

Well it had to happen sometime and last week seemed to be the right coin and time. I have a 1962 D franklin half dollar that had a cloudy look to it all over the coin. As it was I believe it could have gotten a ms-61 or maybe 62. with a nice cleaning it might hit a score of MS 65 or higher. which makes it a thousand dollar coin if I get lucky.

Does anyone out there know what causes a silver coin to get that white cloudy look to it is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future. any help would be greatly helpful.

Sorry I did not take a before photo but I will post an after as soon as it runs its course thought NCS and NGC.

Happy Collecting and May God Bless....Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

Silver is a reactive metal and reacts with water in the air as well as sulfer and a whole multitude of other elements. Cloudiness is not only for business strike coins, it effects all kinds of silver coins.

Getting them slabbed is your best bet against the dreaded cloud storm.

NCS does a fine job from what other users have posted about them.

Good luck to you on this coin.

Michael,

I purchased a few mint sets and proof sets from a old coin store when I first started collecting them. The store had bad insulation and usually not much on the heat and cooling system creating plenty of moisture in the store most of the time. Most of those sets were cloudy and I had to send the ones I liked to NCS for preservation of which they did a SWELL job!! Most of the coins returned graded 64 to 66 grades which were fine to me as 1955 to 1969 mint sets are hard to find here locally when I am just running around looking to spend a few bucks on coin sets. (thumbs u