• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1873 G$1 Guess The Grade.

14 posts in this topic

I'd grade it MS-64.

This is a well made 1873 gold dollar. Many of them show a weakness on the word "LIBERTY." The mint made an effort to melt Type 1 gold dollars in 1873 and '74 and turn them into Type 3 gold dollars. The result was higher mintages and some rather sloppy minting practices that resulted in less than perfect coins.

I am in Florida right now but figured I would check in and reveal. NGC would not go that extra inch and decided it was a MS64+ which is good for me since I feel confident I got a MS65 at a very good price. It is a very nice example.

Thanks for all good guesses.

Oh, and btw Bill the liberty is actually defined very well however the lighting of the coin when I took the picture did not make its way into that small crevice.

I took the picture quickly during a break getting ready for my run down to Florida on my bike.

Oh, and btw Bill the liberty is actually defined very well however the lighting of the coin when I took the picture did not make its way into that small crevice.

If you read my sentence I said that it is a well made example with a complete "LIBERTY."

Ok Bill. You are correct. I must have misread your thread as this phone is difficult to post and read. I misplaced my bifocals and that makes matters worse.

Nice coin Bill. I love the look of it and some of the orange toning on the obverse.

Sorry, but it's not my coin. ;)

" [Re: wdrob]" - I think he was talking to me Mr. Bill Jones.

Mr. Bill Roberson ..... ;)

Thanks Joe.

Nice coin Bill. I love the look of it and some of the orange toning on the obverse.

Sorry, but it's not my coin. ;)

" [Re: wdrob]" - I think he was talking to me Mr. Bill Jones.

Mr. Bill Roberson ..... ;)

Thanks Joe.

Yep