• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOLD PLATED COINS

17 posts in this topic

I won two 1999 P SBA gold plated coins from Fred Weinberg. When they arrived I removed all the plating from them with a very fine polish. The copper core is not seen on them now that the plating has been removed. Is it possible that the coins could be silver planchets? I sent them to ANACS and they came back in body bags stating they were deplated. Nothing was said about the copper core missing. Could it be that they were silver plated before they were gold plated?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Gold plated coins, which were not issued as gold plated pieces, are junk. The plating process damages the surfaces and lowers the value considerably.

Buy the stuff if you want it, but be forewarned that it is worth worth face value at best. If the "host coin' ever becomes valuable, the plated version of it will be worth a fraction of the value of an unplated piece.

What on earth prompted someone to plate them? I figure if it can be restored it ought to be worth something. Not as much as one that is unplated. It should still receive a net grade even though it was or is plated. The coin still has a brilliant surface and it is a mint issed coin.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

They usually sell the plated coins to the unsuspecting. You can find them in Magazine ads, ebay, and being sold on TV. They have no value except for the value of the coin that is plated. Also, as someone else said, the plating would ruin the surface of the coin. Removing the plating would just make matters worse.

Looks like you made something worth nothing, worth less? Doesn't make sense, does it? But buying a gold plated coin does not make very much sense at all, unless you are giving them away or using for the Coke Machine.

The point is that it's such a shame that these "sham artists" have the niave collector believing that there is value in these coins. Just think of how many unsuspecting people are paying Shop-At-Home, HSN etc. for a pocketfull of nothing. They've jumped on the popularity State Quarter program and expanded into other series, to convince the uneducated that they are making an important "numismatic" investment with altered coins.

The only thing that is worse than this are the World Trade Center coins. Several dealers I thought were "respectable" have turned this tradegy into a very profitable endeavor. And the have the #* to charge 5 to ten times the going market value on these coins. How many people want to remember one of our darker days looking at a $1 2001 MS68 Eagle that they paid $199+ for.

Just MHO.

Yea, if the the silver can be removed without harming the nikel clad layer beneath then it may be possible for the coin to be graded. Well, maybe the same method can be used to remove the silver plating that was used to remove the gold plating.

KINGKOIN KING OF KONS

Believe or not there are those who tout these gold plated coins as "investments." I almost fell out of my chair one night when one of the "get ripped off" at home shopping network weasels told the audience that the current's year's set of gold plated state quarters was a great investment @ $24.95 plus postage.