• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My observations of the Santa Clara show and Superior auction.

6 posts in this topic

I attended the show all day Thursday and most of Friday. The doors opened at 11AM Thursday. The bourse appeared genuinely busy for most of the day, with good amounts of collector traffic. I managed to make several rounds of the show, looking for colored commems and early Mexico. A couple of dealers had a nice assortment of Mexico for me at fair prices. I talked to many dealers, with several stating they had good dealer to dealer action set up day Wednesday. I had a very difficult time finding anything to my liking in commems, and noticed many recycled slabbed coins moving from dealer to dealer showcases. Santa Clara is known as a good collector show, and this was the case. By 3PM, the crowd began to thin, and dealers noted that the show was active. Several collector oriented dealers were VERY busy, and appeared quite pleased. By 6PM, the bourse was still busy, unusual for late in the day, and only a very few dealers were closing, a good sign.

At 6PM. the Superior auction was to begin, but a bug in the computer system held up the auction until 7:30PM. Most of the type was fair to soft, the great majority of commems were soft, except for several colored commems which went for substantially above average money. Overall, the bidding from the floor was slightly subdued.

On Friday, the show lacked the buzz of Thursday, but still quite active. Not a lot of retail Friday, which allowed dealers to wander from their tables and peruse the floor. Show was well attended by coin dealers, a few stamp dealers. PCGS, NGC and ANACS were in attendance with ANACS giving free coin grading opinions. Ebay was set up, the 1894s dime was exhibited, and the US mint appeared to be doing business. Many east coast dealers also attended and stayed Friday, which is unusual. Although the market appears flat in several areas, collector demand at this show was evident and the increases in gold made for some good activity in common US gold.

I rate the show a B.

TRUTH