• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS - Fivaz-Stanton or Full Steps?

14 posts in this topic

A while back, I posted about a return to Heritage that I made over a nickel incorrectly described as "full steps" due to the "FS" or Fivaz-Stanton (Cherrypicker's Guide) number printed on the NGC insert. This morning (two weeks after it made it back to Heritage) I received an email saying that the coin had been correctly described and that I'd not get a full refund (5% restocking fee)! After a phone call and a talk with customer service and a cataloger, I finally got it resolved! It was like turning on a light bulb. Fairly funny if I was not annoyed. But I was pleasant with the Heritage folks, I promise! They really were simply mistaken and confused over the FS on the insert!

I think that Keith mentioned that the FS number on a Jefferson nickel insert is a potential liability! Absolutely correct. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

tongue.gif Hoot

I know that the cataloguers at Heritage get swamped, as they literally see tens of thousands of lots a year. Talking with one of the guys a few months back, he said that they rarely even have time to appreciate the really cool stuff that comes through their area as they try to get it ready for publication.

I guess that Jeffersons are the only series that have a strike designation with the same letters as a variety designation.

I haven't a single doublt that the catalogers are very busy at Heritage. It was simply funny to talk with one while he was holdong the coin and point out to him that the coin was NOT full steps! "Ohhhhhh yeahhhh!" was the response, which I found fairly amusing.

On an NGC or PCGS insert, the designation of FS for full steps follows the grade, e.g., MS67FS, whereas the Fivaz-Stanton number, e.g. FS-028, follows the grade on a separate line.

Hoot

Mark,

I have an easy solution to this problem. Collect shield nickel varieties instead !!! laugh.gif They are WAY more dramatic and cool ... there are wild triple punched dates, overdates, DDO'S, TDO's, DDR's with hubbing from two different hubs, and on and on ... the DDO's in the shield series make anything else look minor by comparison !!! And there are no "Full Steps" sheidl nickels !!

Oh .. wait a minute ... bad idea ... I don't want any competition !!!! I want to collect them all myself !!!! mad.gif

Sunnywood

Sunnywood! I'm too much of a cheap date than to collect shield nickels! Too sophisticated for this back-woods sod!!!!!!! laugh.gif Besides, I'm waiting for the book, THE BOOK, THE DEFINITIVE REFERENCE on shield nickels to hit the shelves! (I've heard a very talented person was writing it blush.gif!)

Now, if I were to buy a shield nickel or two, I'd want them to be high grade variety rarities shocked.gif

wink.gif Hoot

Put out? I don't know about you, but it ain't putin' out to me! smile.gif

The Lobster and Champaign sound great! And the butter, ooooooohhhhhhh the buttttttter!!! tongue.gif

Shield nickels sound better by the day!

Hoot

Folks,

First, I don't do anything "dirty" with butter. Not, at least, in the typical EVP way... wink.gif

Second, I got my Cardinal book for free as part of a pre-release distribution for a few people.

Third, I live to eat and drink. I may not be the chef in my circle of friends, but I am the one who decides on the wine selection.

Fourth, all this talk of food and beverage is getting me to consider having a dinner party for my friends. Some things I have in mind:

* Alaskan King Crab Legs, steamed and de-shelled half way (length-wise) so I can pour hot oil and finely chopped garlic over the crab legs. Garnish with cilantro.

* Steamed whole fish (using a microwave oven, which makes it easier!), with ginger, sprinkling of soy sauce, and hot oil. Garnish with cilantro.

* Bean sprouts (big headed ones), sauteed, with salt and scallions.

* Mushrooms and string beans, sauteed, with salt.

* XL shrimp, lightly coated with corn starch & salt (5:1) mixture, deep fried with hot chili paste.

* Pinot Grigio or Sauv Blanc, for pre-dinner.

* Champagne, for dinner.

* Chardonnay (Wash. State), for after dinner.

EVP