• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1916 Mercury Dime

12 posts in this topic

From those pictures I would guess 65 no FB although it looks like it's in a PCGS slab so it may have received the FSB designation.

It's definitely not an NGC slab, or a PCGS one (says he just got the grade back, if PCGS just encapsulated this coin it would be in their 3-prong holder). Maybe he meant to say ICG?

Anyway, I would guess MS65 FB on this one. I don't think NGC would call that a FB, but Other TPG's might.

This is a tough one for me. The green and purple toning that I'm seeing on the coin, I'm also seeing on the slab.

The obverse is either showing some wear on the wing, is not fully struck or is not in focus.

The reverse has some of the same characteristics. The left upper olive branch either has some wear , is not fully struck or is not completely in focus.

Looks like pic's are from a PCGS slab before the attempted crossover.

Very tough guess from the images - I'm going guess the slightest rub gets this one an AU58. Possible AU Details/Color. Could just be the images as the color of the slab looks off too.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the image is from before I sent it to be graded at NGC. It was in a capsule/airtite. It is now in a NGC slab as UNC Details, improper cleaning, which was a real surprise to me.

I think that if you swirl this coin around under a light you will find that it has "flat" luster. By that I mean that you probably will not see the surfaces play with the light in a sort of cartwheel fashion that is the indication of a Mint State coin. You also might see tiny hairlines on the surface under a 10X or stronger glass.

I'm sorry that you coin did not grade. It was probably a very nice Mint State coin that had some tarnish form on it which was subsequently removed improperly.

What's bad is I sent in five coins, three of which I thought might be questionable whether or not they would get details holders. None of the one's I thought would come back details did, but the two I thought looked the best garnered details holders...

I sent in seven coins to NGC a while back, one of them I knew was coming back questionable (I sent in in for the heck of it).

Three of the coins came back graded and three came back (minus the one that I knew that was coming back) altered, after cracking I have made big money on all except one. All of my coins were sold to a well established dealer, go figure.