• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed with the silver medal in the Theodore Roosevelt set and now I know

6 posts in this topic

2013TRSilverMedalO_zps36bf666b.jpg2013TRSilvermedalR_zps33813b9d.jpg

I recently received the 2013 Theodore Roosevelt "Chronicles Set," and I am disappointed with the silver medal, which was struck on a ASE planchet. In addition to indifferent surface quality, the piece is also in disappointingly low relief. This week I learned why.

In the most recent Stacks' auction there was large silver piece that was made at the Philadelphia mint in the 1950s. According to the brief Stacks' description, this piece was clandestinely made for a gentleman named Ed Rice who had an "in" at the mint. This piece was made from the standard dies that were used to make the standard three inch medals the mint offered in a wide varieties years ago. The only difference was, this piece was made in silver, and according to Stacks' is quite rare.

As you can see, even on this piece the relief is quite low, which is apparently the way Charles Barber (obverse) and George Morgan (reverse) wanted it.

1905TRRiceIngO_zps15d47ac9.jpg1905TRRiceIngR_zps0927db06.jpg

2013TRSilverMedalO_zps36bf666b.jpg2013TRSilvermedalR_zps33813b9d.jpg

I recently received the 2013 Theodore Roosevelt "Chronicles Set," and I am disappointed with the silver medal, which was struck on a ASE planchet. In addition to indifferent surface quality, the piece is also in disappointingly low relief. This week I learned why.

In the most recent Stacks' auction there was large silver piece that was made at the Philadelphia mint in the 1950s. According to the brief Stacks' description, this piece was clandestinely made for a gentleman named Ed Rice who had an "in" at the mint. This piece was made from the standard dies that were used to make the standard three inch medals the mint offered in a wide varieties years ago. The only difference was, this piece was made in silver, and according to Stacks' is quite rare.

As you can see, even on this piece the relief is quite low, which is apparently the way Charles Barber (obverse) and George Morgan (reverse) wanted it.

1905TRRiceIngO_zps15d47ac9.jpg1905TRRiceIngR_zps0927db06.jpg

I am disappointed at the use of "SEP".

I would love to have that bottom one. Is that the Stacks one that you mention or is that one of your own?

That top one would disappoint me as well.

I would love to have that bottom one. Is that the Stacks one that you mention or is that one of your own?

That top one would disappoint me as well.

Yes, that's the one I bought out of the Stacks' sale.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Low relief was in vogue among sculptors during the Art Nouveau period of 1895-1920 or so. The new Roosevelt medal mimics the design of the old but with modern technology employed in the hub reduction. Based on some recent products of the U. S. Mint, it could have been much worse. I believe they did as good a job as possible with current priorities.

To me, the modern copy is a substandard replica. No professional engraver or art director should have allowed the mess to be produced. An embarrassment to all involved. (The simple 19th century reduction lathes did better work than this.)