• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help identify this coin/medal from Middle East- Madina

9 posts in this topic

I am again seeking help in identifying a coin. This time it is a Middle Eastern coin or medal. It is Silver. Weighs 22.3 Grams. Measures 35-36mm in Diameter. I have been told that coin is Saudi Arabian, however when I showed it to an Arabic speaker, he told me it was not Arabic. Possibly Urdu writing on the coin. I have checked ALL the Krause books and can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

146103.jpg.dbdc4ee2ba32faeee7d4efde9ea88f87.jpg

146104.jpg.b2f4a4180db519bbafb9966cf18bd295.jpg

The writing looks like Farsi to me, or one of the south central Asian languages that use the Persian version of the abjad. How far back in Krause did you go?

I would put my money on one of the Islamic kingdoms or sultanates in what is now northern India, perhaps Pakistan.

Hi, I would like help identifying a coin I found a couple weeks ago. I am not usually in these forums -- I usually frequent the comic-book forums. I didn't want to start a new thread so I am using this existing thread. I hope that's okay!

Here are scans of the coin I found a couple weeks ago. I don't have much experience scanning coins and maybe should use a camera with a macro lens, but this will have to do. (The coin is much more silvery and shiny than it appears here.)

Does anybody know what this coin is? Where it's from, what it's worth, etc. I assume it's not worth much, but still am curious to know what it is.

Thank you!

147331.jpg.da4d025fb1b3281c22fad71b0a8ea27c.jpg

Definitely Thai in style. I think it's a 5 Baht, Y219, from BE 2531-51 (1988-2008). Probably not worth much at all unless the date is BE 2540, and even then no great shakes.

Definitely Thai in style. I think it's a 5 Baht, Y219, from BE 2531-51 (1988-2008). Probably not worth much at all unless the date is BE 2540, and even then no great shakes.

Thanks for the info! According to Google's currency converter, 5 Thai Bahts is worth 15 cents U.S.! I am rich!