• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sour taste posted by lanebrad

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

buyer beware

Hello collectors

Well I went to a coin show on Saturday. There was about 12 vendors there And they had the what you would expect Mint, proof set coin albums, graded coins of every type . well as most of you know I been working on a grades set of Franklins and my ASE sets and of course anything that may catches my eye graded or not . Anyway I was surprise that I had a lot of the coins that the vendor had ( ex) the 2 coin sets by the mint and proof sets. Well here the rub they had graded coin or so they said in these slabs I have never seen or heard of they looked home made as if maybe I would put a coin in a slab print out a fancy looking label and I slapped a grade of 70 on it I know something about the grading services and the lower grading service that are in business or went out . anyway my deal is to stay with NGC or PCGS just that what I do and if I going to pay for something I want a good quality coin. on another note their mint and proof sets were way too expensive yes I look at them also I think everyone is entiled to making a buck or 2 but not to buy there retirement on a mint set. And yes I familiar with the cost of and what fair I never question the price if it over valued by a few dollars if it something I want. but 30 to 50% is waytoo much They was a good turn out when I was there, but left with nothing and a sour taste in my mouth I guess the old saying is true no matter what we are buying Buyer beware. I have read a few times to buy the coin not the holder but sometimes you just have to listen to the voice and back away if it a 70 grade and your not positive of what exactly it is.

See more journals by lanebrad

Looks like hanging out around here has taught you when to say no!! :)

When you look at the coins in the off brand slabs it really makes you wonder why a "DEALER" would even try to sell them as anything but raw.

Smart Choice Lane!! (thumbs u

I went to a small show yesterday that was put on by the local coin club. I was surprised that 80% of the inventory was in 2x2's. There were some graded coins by NGC and PCGS, but not many. Some of the people had their basement slabs too, but I won't look at them.

I did buy my first CBH in a 2x2 at the show. It's got great color. I need to assess it for the Overton #. The seller and I agreed that it was likely an old cleaning and re-tone. If I had to guess, I'd say it's an XF40 if it would grade.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I had fun at this little show. Talking with the sellers and when it came time to buy, they offered the coins at a nice discount.