• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic iPad Apps

23 posts in this topic

I know PCGS and I believe, NGC have their own apps of some kind. I'd venture over to the iTunes app store and type in key words like, "coins" or even "hobby".

There are also a couple of bookkeeping type apps that would fit well in cataloging a collection.

Photograde, Coin Details, Price Guide, Ebay, Heritage are the ones I like...

Also if you want to have reference guides on your iPad... Whitman has basically released most of their books in electronic form.

Photograde, Coin Details, Price Guide, Ebay, Heritage are the ones I like... Also if you want to have reference guides on your iPad... Whitman has basically released most of their books in electronic form.

Those aren't bad, but as I understand the COINFACTS App can instantly scan a coin and/or slab and identify it, no ? It's pricey but if it does what I think it does, it's worth it even for a small-time collector. (thumbs u

The problem is that PCGS doesn't have it for Android yet. Photograde and PCGS Price Guide are better than nothing -- but just barely. Basically, pictures and grades for the former and outdated (?) prices for the latter.

I'll try and email PCGS today and find out when the Android CoinFacts App is gonna be out......

I use a couple of different apps for research and information.

The NGC Coin Details app is great for scanning or entering NGC certification numbers, it will bring up the census and price guide for that coin and all grades for that coin.

PCGS Photograde is a good one to look at high quality pics of each grade of many coins. Example, Peace Dollars has an obverse and reverse picture for PO01 through MS68

Coinflation is a good app if you are interested in up to date silver and gold spot prices as well as the overall metal value of US coins from war nickels through silver dollars, it also includes 40% Ikes and Kennedy Halves.

The NGC Coin Details app is great for scanning or entering NGC certification numbers, it will bring up the census and price guide for that coin and all grades for that coin.

Android App or iPhone only ?

Coinflation is a good app if you are interested in up to date silver and gold spot prices as well as the overall metal value of US coins from war nickels through silver dollars, it also includes 40% Ikes and Kennedy Halves.

Haven't found Coinflation yet

Haven't found Coinflation yet

It seems like it is just a calculator taking into account the silver content of the coins and the current price of silver. A useful app, but not one that is essential.

The CoinFacts App seems much more useful at a coin show.

not sure, but i don't have a lot of good things to say about the NGC app. it's way too limited in what you can access. i don't even think you can access population reports with the NGC app. most of the time i just use safari and go to websites, although that's a lot slower.

I use the PCGS price guide app, it's okay.

NGC coin details is cool too.

If I had any clue on who to make an app I would make a collection app. Take a picture of coin, list the details, purchase date and price. But just a pipe dream because guy can't write code anymore!!! lol

Is the PCGS Price Guide app any good ?

I see lots of Red and Green price moves but I'm not sure if the prices are just in a very big ballpark. MS-65 commons for 1924 and 1928 are listed at about $2,400 which seems about 25% too high, at least.

Why don't NGC and PCGS either get more accurate pricing (can't be that difficult) or just use the Gray Sheet as a default ? I'm not asking them to be super-accurate to $100 or so but they shouldn't be $500 off.

Thoughts ?

The PCGS app is okay, I would rather use the Red Book though.

I don't know why both NGC and PCGS don't just default to the Grey Sheet. I know it's not perfect, but it's the most popular and most dealers/shops use it as their 1st line of defense.

If more people used it, it would probably enforce price discipline and transparency more in the business. There's enough illiquidity that we don't need multiple sources of prices and price guesstimates.