• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884 CC VAM 2

4 posts in this topic

This coin is a VAM 2. Vamworld says the date is doubled at top left and at lower crossbar. The curved formation at the base looks more like the top of the 1 than doubling. Misplaced date?

rectangle_New-Out99999-DoStack101_zpsb1ae3e20.jpg

Thoughts?

If I understand the process correctly, when struck the die presses into the planchet and for just a millisecond the metal heated by friction raises into the recesses of the die. For there to be metal therefore remaining in the field after such great pressure is applied I'd think that has to be a chip in the die or some other recess for the metal to escape into.

Those dollops of metal top and bottom appear to be convex so I think it's something in the die. I'd believe it's more a damage issue than a mis-placed date. That should be more evident, no?

I'm no authority, Just a mutt who woke up too early on a Saturday morning.

When the change was made from 1879 to 1880 (through 1885) the Mint employees could choose to use a logotype with 2, 3 or 4 digits to alter the date on the hub. RPD's like this did occur as well as a lot of doubling on the "18" when using the 4-digit logotype.

It was also during this period that a "dash" was often left (forgotten) under the second "8" because Mint employees would place a small dash over the 10th denticle to align the third digit of the logotype. Probably the most prominent of these is the 1885-CC VAM-4 Doubled Dash.

Chris