• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading the new baseball commemoratives

14 posts in this topic

Haven't seen them yet...any pics ?

I think they should be doing more commemoratives of CLASSIC coins like the 2009 UHR. Do new Liberty's, Indian Heads, etc. Do 'em in Gold & Silver.

...maybe on a "slider" scale; although there might be the occasional "knuckler."

The "grading" of stuff that never circulates is beyond my feeble comprehension. Everything is perfect as it comes from the die (MS-70) and thus only post-strike handling can alter the "condition." Since the mint tosses out coins that have been dropped on the floor, runover by VIP tour groups, or chomped by rats, there should be almost nothing except MS-69 and MS-70 pieces....or am I missing the strike zone?

...maybe on a "slider" scale; although there might be the occasional "knuckler."

The "grading" of stuff that never circulates is beyond my feeble comprehension. Everything is perfect as it comes from the die (MS-70) and thus only post-strike handling can alter the "condition." Since the mint tosses out coins that have been dropped on the floor, runover by VIP tour groups, or chomped by rats, there should be almost nothing except MS-69 and MS-70 pieces....or am I missing the strike zone?

Nope, you through one right down the pike!

Poster: CaptHenway

Subject: Re: Grading the new baseball commemoratives

Apropos the new baseball commemoratives: Will the TPG's be grading them on a curve???

yes!!

in fact pcgs will institute a new double plus ++ system with these new baseball commem coins (thumbs u

Well, as you know, different gold alloys/compositions, dies, die wears, microscopic differences in machine strikes, etc....can all make for the tiniest differences -- sometimes. :grin:

But I think everything is MS-70, 69, or 68. Larger coins are more likely to be MS-68 (larger surface = bigger opportunity for blemishes).

Will there be official reviews of close calls?

What if I want to buy a soda from a vending machine with one of these?