• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are coins with planchet flaws not crossed?

5 posts in this topic

Call me ignorant, but grading companies slab coins with fingerprints which can be destructive to coins so why won't they cross at coin with a planchet flaw. I dropped off a coin to NCS for conservation and cross at any grade. 39-S washington with dark toning or reverse and planchet flaw on the obverse. Guess what the coin comes back with nothing done. Not worth the hassle to send back. It's at best a $125 coin. My reason for dropping it off was to see what kind of work they could do before I submitted more valuable coins. By the way a former grader looked at the coin and agreed it was a good candidate for conservation.

Coin was in a ICG66 holder.

It think it depends on the severity of the planchet flaws and the age of the coin. Older stuff gets slabbed with planchet flaws, newer stuff won't. Then you get the inbetween issues like buffalo nickels that are kind of new but a lot of the coins have some form of planchet flaws, so depending on the severity is whether or not they get slabbed.

I could never imagine a Washington quarter getting slabbed with a planchet flaw.

How large was the planchet flaw. The reason that I am asking is because I have owned or seen a number of planchet flaws on encapsulated coins over the years. I certainly was not aware that they would get a no grade when they do not even affect the grade that I am aware of.

I talked with NCS the only way to resolve it, is to send it back and quiter frankly the coin isn't worth the hassle. The planchet flaw is in the field to the left of the nose and is small but quite noticeable. I say so what, it's not a post minting issue. It's not destructive, its been slabbed. If you are going to slab fingerprinted coins, a minor planchet flaw is no biggie.

Live and learn, fortunately not an expensive lesson.