• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Collect Stories With Coins to Sell"

6 posts in this topic

What are the most outlandish stories you have been told to induce you to buy a certain coin?

Mine is: "This coin was in Abe Lincoln's pocket the night he died." (If the story were true, Abe would have been so weighed down with cash that he never could have made it to the theater.)

I could probably go to eBay right now and look at the first 20 Morgan dollars that came up for sale and find a real whopper.

I don't know that I've ever heard a story in person beyond the usual, "This is high end, undergraded, PQ+++++++++, and I paid up for this one" BS.

"UNsearched Wheat Penny Roll" on Ebay. Right I bet they arent searched.

Best story that got me when I started collecting I had never seen a Peace Dollar. Guy told me the "IN GOD WE TRVST" V not a U "was an error" I paid an extra $10 bucks for it but it wont happen again. Another guy told me it this year. I set him straight!

I think the most ridiculous one was at a local coin show a Dealer had a common (I think it was a 1941) Mercury dime with a kind of rose colored, pinkish toning. It was an ok coin, prolly about MS 65.

The coin is a $10 coin, the toning maybe adds $5-$10 so it's at most a $20 coin. I ask how much, he says $75. I'm shocked and certain it showed. I asked him if he was firm at that price, he responds by saying he had about that much into it.

I left him wondering if I should buy things for his case because he sure sucks at buying right.

I'm getting around to this a little late because my internet service was down for a few days.

However, I've don't recall any outlandish stories, but I would imagine that we might one day come across something like this.........

FOR SALE! L@@K! These are the original 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cents that were placed over President Lincoln's eyes after the assassination.

Chris