• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shocking find...remember that coroded large Large Cent I posted about...

16 posts in this topic

That's right remember I had that green meany that I post a few days ago....well I cleaned it up and it went from this......

1800before.jpg

to this.....

1804_Dollar_Carter_Obv.jpg

I know it's shocking....just think under all those layers of green paint was this beauty 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

OK here is the real image of what I found but honestly..... the picture doesn't do the coin justice. Considering the crud that was on the coin.......and considering the acid I used to get that crud off, the coin did not turn colors or anything it looks like a typical dark copper with corrosion from being in the ground. If you saw the coin in hand you would be amazed at how nice it looked after the cleaning, still has full readable date and AG features on the obverse, but the back is slightly more pitted, but you can still see the wreath and most of the writing. Not saying it's market acceptable for the grade, but I feel like I saved this one and can now put it in a 2X2 and put it in a binder to be appreciated.

largecent.jpg[/img]

I thought that's what you meant and was just going to see if I was right, but you responded first thumbsup2.gif

Nope......I have never found anything that nice while detecting, just a few wheat pennies and tons of clad coins. I bought that one off Ebay for $15.00 and I believe it books for around $50 in Good Condition. So I figured it was worth the $15 and I could clean it.....it wasn't as easy as I thought, but it cleaned up well and looks much better than the scan leads on. The pitting is to be expected as clearly it is a dug coin...I just didn't dig it up myself. hi.gif

Reminds me of an AC/DC song!!!!!

Actually I used a water down solution of muratic acid since that's what I had in the garage. I mixed it 50% acid and 50% water and then tested it on a wheat penny, which is slowly lightened the color, but did not turn it orange. I figured it wouldn't be strong enough to take the green gunk off, but I used Q-tips and lightly rubbed the surface and slowly but surley the green muck came off without doing any further damage to the already pitted surface of the coin. Honestly.......the coin looks pretty solid considering what it went through and the dark copper color looks real natural compaired to coppers that turn orange.

Muriatic acid is just the fancy name for hydrochloric acid (HCl).

By the way, I have some corroded steel cents that I wouldn't mind you "working up" like you did your large cent...as long as you get the same 1804 results! thumbsup2.gif

Yes....I think I could quit my day job if I could make that happen 893applaud-thumb.gif

I just wish I could post a decent scan of the actual cleaned large cent. foreheadslap.gif

Hey you didn't do bad at all thumbsup2.gif

Funny thread 27_laughing.gif