• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ, your expertise is needed again. Are you familar with this series of coin?

4 posts in this topic

I don't recognize the coin series or the seller off hand. The seller sure likes to push "old" coins which is kind of a red flag to me, as is the private auction.

I have a few references that cover Savoy at home so I'll do some more checking when I get there tonight.

-JamminJ

I found the coin listed in the book The Silver Coins of Medieval France by James N. Roberts. It is under Savoy on page 492-493 as Number 9794.

It's a quarter soldo struck for the Duchy of Savoy under Carles Emmanuel I and one of three types of 1/4 soldos struck in his name between 1580-1630. The main differences between the types are the number and location of roses with this being a four rose type. The 4th rose to the right of the "E" is tough to see on the coin being offered. The coins were commonly imitated by other local Italian city-states. The soldo was orginally equal value with a Venician grosso but devalued quickly.

No values are listed for the coins in this book, but judging by the line drawings provided I would pass on this coin. I would hold out for one where all four roses remained on the coin.

-JamminJ