• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC residue

4 posts in this topic

I just had 2 Peace dollars returned to me from ANACS without encapsulation because of "PVC Residue".

I'd like to have these coins submitted to NCS to remove the residue so that I can have them encapsulated and graded thru NGC.

What are your thoughts? Twowood.

If the PVC crud isn't significant, or the coins aren't of huge value, I'd suggest that you remove the PVC yourself. It'll be a good learning experience.

Just use something acetone-based and let sit and swirl. Gently try to dislodge residue w/o rubbing or scratching the surface of the coin.

Otherwise, NCS seem like a good choice...

EVP

EVP...I can't even see the PVC on the coins.Both look great. I've got worse looking 62's in my collection. However, I'll follow your advise and give them both an actone bath then send them off to NGC for grading.

On 2nd thought, I think I'll run them past my dealer next time I see him. Twowood confused.gif

Twowood:

If you are not familiar with PVC residue or have never removed it before, I would use caution. Here are my thoughts on your situation:

1. Are you sure the residue on the coin is PVC or is it some other form of chemical or organic contamination that is similar? Different residues may need to be addressed differently.

2. Is the residue the result of improper storage/handling, or was it intentionally applied to conceal a much bigger problem. If you recently purchased the coin and the residue was in fact applied to hide a problem, you probably will no longer have the opportunity to return it to the seller if you clean it.

3. Finally, what is the value of the coin in relation to the risk involved in doing the work yourself versus having it professionally done. While acetone is widely used in the hobby to address a variety of problems, we have found other chemical combinations to be much more effective in our laboratory here at NCS (as well as when I was the ANA's conservator) both for addressing the problem and ensuring the coin's longer-term stability.

Good luck,

Brian