• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ready for another coin hoard?

10 posts in this topic

Not so much a "hoard" as the rejects and extras from hundreds of coin buying deals. Might be some good stuff that was once of little interest - or might be many bags of AG Barber halves.

As for QDB's revised book, I hope it has real hoards in it, not invented ones (Brother Jonathan, etc.) or stuff like the Stack's piles.

Not so much a "hoard" as the rejects and extras from hundreds of coin buying deals. Might be some good stuff that was once of little interest - or might be many bags of AG Barber halves. As for QDB's revised book, I hope it has real hoards in it, not invented ones (Brother Jonathan, etc.) or stuff like the Stack's piles.

Agreed....this was like they collected all the tidibits and unsellables from coin shows, flea markets, estate sales, garage sales, etc.

Unless they are in good/great condition, much of the stuff may only be worth melt or even face value.

From the story......"it includes more than one million coins. The market value is estimated to be well into eight figures, with initial estimates ranging from $15 to $20 million."

That would mean avg. value of each coin at $15-20. So, I'd have to agree with both the above posts, Probably nothing more than low grade, melt value coins. ;)

"nearly 10,000 1909 V.D.B Lincoln Cents" price drop heading your way soon? How much fun would it be to go through that hoard? :)

Not so much a "hoard" as the rejects and extras from hundreds of coin buying deals. Might be some good stuff that was once of little interest - or might be many bags of AG Barber halves.

As for QDB's revised book, I hope it has real hoards in it, not invented ones (Brother Jonathan, etc.) or stuff like the Stack's piles.

agreed.

If this "hoard" is the leftovers from many years of coin buying by Stack's, I wouldn't be that surprised, as having a full basement is typical of a long-time family-owned company.

However, hasn't Stack's changed ownership a couple of times in the past ten years or so?

I would have thought that new owners would have cleaned out the basement several years ago.

By the way, on a related topic, does anyone remember the announcement from Littleton's several years ago about the hoard of coins they bought that had been plucked from circulation by a NYC Subway token clerk?

I recall the Little anouncement, but haven't followed up on it. As the saying goes "If it's not gold it's just stuff."

From how I read it, Stacks acquired this hoard. It is not remnants from their transactions.

10K VDB Lincolns? Holy smokes. Wonder that will do to the values.

I didn't read anything about chose TPG to grade the coins in the article. That's a lot of coins. Large Copper and Capped Busts included. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

If the press release is vague, then I'd be skeptical about what this is. The photo reminds me of stuff from a basement, except it's old coins and not National Geographics.