• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay restricted me from selling a coin

22 posts in this topic

1879 NGC AU-55.

They refused to accept me from putting it up for sale. I have been an Ebay member since 1998.

WHAT?

[img_0763_zpsa19075ff.jpg.html]IMG_0763_zpsa19075ff.jpg

IMG_0759_zps75a52af8.jpg

IMG_0760_zps4bcfb696.jpg

Ebays says, I am not approved to sell items over $2,000 and that part of Ebay is closed on the weekend.

It's up for sale on the NGC Marketplace Board for a sale.

Strange policy! I can understand it from the point of buyer protection, but for them to say any part of eBay is closed on the weekend boggles my mind.

Very impressive coin though, it's a series I've always admired as well.

I've never heard of that before. I really thought someone tagged it as a fake.

Learn something new about E-Bay every day. Then again, maybe that's why Carl Icahn Thinks E-Bay is the worse managed company in America.

Just an opinion, but I don't think it's a $2,000 coin, so they shouldn't restrict you. Far too much wear for AU - a pleasant EF, but that's all.

The reply you quote is precisely why I killed my Paypal and Ebay account after selling 73 coins over several years on eBay at a total sell price of $10,280.00.

Paypal/eBay actually held up payment in several transactions. Their response was that the transaction amount triggered their software to alert for a fraudulent transaction. I refused to ship any coins without payment. Paypal didn't like my position.

Warning and I apologize to the OP. This is a Paypal rant. Paypal acts as an escrow agent without being legally authorized as an escrow agent. Being connected politically and moving a lot of cash has it's benefits.

You are wise to sell outside of the eBay marketplace.

Carl

If you continue to have issues let me know and I will sell it for you...0% commission...you would only have to pay the Ebay and paypal fees charged to me.

Thanks. See PM.

1879 NGC AU-55.

They refused to accept me from putting it up for sale. I have been an Ebay member since 1998.

WHAT?

That's happened to me a couple times, I believe it was some type of eBay or PayPal glitch that had to straightened out with a phone call. It can be a PITA but is usually resolved in a day or two.

If that's the one you bought from me it didn't make the cut at CAC. And as for anyone thinking it might be a fake at eBay well no again; that's where I originally acquired it. Good luck and I think this is one of the few coins that actually looks better in hand even most all listings state so it happens to be true with this coin!

David

Just an opinion, but I don't think it's a $2,000 coin, so they shouldn't restrict you. Far too much wear for AU - a pleasant EF, but that's all.

I call- with respect, of course- Baloney.

You can't possibly decide, with any finality and accuracy, from the picture.

You may think so, you have an opinion, but that is all. :foryou:

I'd do a once over on the holder with slab repair so the coin comes shining through in the listing. Images can be critical for good results.

Good idea. If it doesn't sell, I'll probably do that. In the meantime I will try to take some better pics. Don't know why Ebay restricted the listing, but it was resolved after I contacted them -- just a bit of frustration at the time.

That's OK. The bottom line is that it is an EF coin and I would pay only a fair EF price for it. Those who buy-in to the balogna of grade inflation may do so at their own risk and long term detriment.

:)

That's OK. The bottom line is that it is an EF coin and I would pay only a fair EF price for it. Those who buy-in to the balogna of grade inflation may do so at their own risk and long term detriment.

:)

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours differs from NGC's.

I don't think eBay thinks it a fake.

They have some new selling limitations, for example: on my account, at the moment, I can only sell $5,000 worth of merchandise or 100 it's total, whichever comes first. It says so clearly on the top of my "selling" part in "my eBay" section.

I spoke to eBay about that, they said they'll review my account, and when I reach the limit and it won't let me list anymore - call them and they'll figure it out (they said: we'll fix it for you).

eBay keeps advertising they give "unlimited fixed-price listings" for free (no insertion fees, that is), but they actually don't want to deal with "small" sellers, and limit them.

Mine, by the way, were a couple dozen coins all <$1,000 (all listed as .99 auctions) , plus a couple hundred posters that were only like $5 each (but fixed price) - but it went over the limit of 100 items.

Maybe they don't want too many fixed price listing that don't sell too good taking up space on their servers? I'm not sure, but it's stupid anyways.

The only reason I still buy on ebay is the unique items and "treasures" you sometimes find from small sellers. If they push to make eBay a business place for the big fish only, I won't frequent the site so often anymore