• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1891 Indian head penny

16 posts in this topic

What he said.

This experience will be no fun for you unless you can post pictures. Here's what you do:

Upload your saved photos (on your computer) to an account at photobucket. It's free.

Find the coin in your photobucket library, Then right click the URL on the right side of the photobucket page (that URL is now "saved" in your mouse).

Come to an existing thread or start a new one here, of the tools along the top of the page the one furthest right (kinda looks like a painters pallet) click that. A small box will appear asking for the URL you selected, click that box and the URL will be pasted. Click "submit" at the bottom of the page and your picture will publish.

You're welcome.

My understanding is that PVC looks green and slimy. If it's been removed properly either the coin looks good again or there are bits of metal actually eaten away.

From here it looks like the reverse just has some less than attractive toning or spotting or possibly corrosion however it's kind of hard for me to tell. The coin might grade but the hits on the cheek and date with the reverse spotting would hold it back.

Copper is not my strong suit. Hopefully others will chime in shortly.

This coin appears to have been cleaned and re colored.

The discoloration on the reverse does not look like PVC rather it is probably the end result of the cleaning.

I agree with Mark that the coin appears to be cleaned. Going solely off the location of the image, has the coin been dug up then cleaned?

Thanks for all of your input. I hope that this coin was never cleaned or dipped. The coin doesn't look nearly as "gold" as the pic does. That hit on the face isn't even on the coin. The reverse, however, looks a little worse than the pic. Thanks again.

This coin appears to have been cleaned and re colored.

The discoloration on the reverse does not look like PVC rather it is probably the end result of the cleaning.

I agree. The color is off, but it has nothing to do with PVC. I would avoid the coin at all costs.