• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Variety Plus option Question?

18 posts in this topic

I recently had my 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar certified by NGC. It came back described as a 1795 Flowing Hair S$1 - VG Details - "Improperly Cleaned". I did not ask for a the Variety Plus option, which I meant to do. It is the "two leaves" variety.

Question is would you send the certified coin back and pay the shipping, Insurance and the $15.00 to have the variety placed on the label?

I also did the same thing for my 1797 Dollar which graded by NGC as VG10. It is the 9 stars left, 7 stars right, Large Letters. Would you send this coin back and have the new label showing the designated variety?

The Variety Plus option is going to give you more than the basic Redbook varieties; it will give you the specific die variety according to Bowers-Bolander. Most Early U.S collectors don't need the varieties on the holder to know what they are when purchasing them, but it never hurts to have them. The $15 fees are nothing on $1000-$1500 coins.

If you are going to send it back to get the "two leaves" designation, go all the way and have the actual variety put on the holder. There are 11 different "two leaves" varieties.

Resubmitting the coin raw; Is this because the 1795 dollar coin was graded VG Details "Improperly Cleaned"? And by the way, the coin did not look like it was cleaned to me!

Post pictures,and some us will try to help you with an opinion.

Will the "variety" attribution label add value if you decide to sell? More than likely.

I am a "descriptive" kind of collector, the bigger majority of my Type collection is comprised of varities, and the more descriptive the label is the better.

Compare these two slabs of the same coin and guess what the value difference is between them.

1864LM2CVarietyComparison.jpg

That is just one way to look at it.

OK, I need some help on posting photos. You can click on the links and see a great photo. But how do you get the photo to show up on the post? Trying to learn how this all works. Please bear with me!

Up at the top you will see this line in a colored rectangular box (it looks kinda burgundy to me, but I'm color-blind):

Portal Page Forum List My Stuff User List Calendar Active Topics Search FAQ

Click on FAQ. Look for the topic line: How do I add an image to my message? This should help you out.

OK, Here is my 1795 Flowing Hair graded VG "Details" Improperly Cleaned. What would you do? Break it out of the slab and resubmit or send it in just to have the Variety Plus added? Hope the photos are good enough to be of any help. This is my first try at posting photos on this forum. Thanks for any help or advice!

Dollar_1795_obv_pic2.JPG

Dollar_1795_rev_pic2.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

If it were me, I'd crack it out and re-submit with Varieties Plus. I think the coin is currently graded properly; however, for this particular coin and because of the price, there will be many people willing to buy a improperly cleaned coin so they can have a Flowing Hair dollar in their collection. Having the variety on the holder will help when you sell it.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin is variety BB-21, which is probably the second most common variety of the type, however the photo seems to show a Mint-made silver plug at its center, which is scarce and desirable. I can't confirm it from the photo, but it's worthwhile to find out for certain by submitting it for VP attribution. That costs just $15 and includes reholdering.

The overall color of your resembles a natural piece, but it is a bit too light of a shade of gray and a somewhat uneven. The left side of the coin is darker than the right side on both sides, which suggests that a very thin layer of metal was removed on that part of the piece. I think that is the reason why the coin did not get a grade. It looks like someone rubbed it lightly with an abrasive which resulted in that appearance.

On the positive side, as others have said, many collectors would like to own an example of this type so the coin is very saleable at the right price. Also as David Lange said, if this piece does prove to have a mint installed silver plug, that would more than offset the loss in value from the cleaning.

During the early days of the mint, planchets (coin blanks) were weighed and adjusted to bring the coins within the legal standards before the coins were struck. If the planchet weighed too much, the excess was scraped off with a file resulting in adjustment marks. If the planchet was underweight, it was often re-melted, but sometimes mint personnel added a silver plug to bring the planchet up the standard weight. This was unusual, and coins that display this feature are scarce and desirable. Sometimes there were even coins with both adjustments and the silver plug!

Here is a photo of an early dollar with adjustment marks on the obverse.

1795FlowDolO-1.jpg1795FlowDolR-1.jpg

I don't know the BB numbers so I will defer to DWLange on that. In the older B numbers it is B-1. As he said it is common. I can't tell from the pictures if it has a silver plug or if that is just a mark on the obverse that would seem to indicate the edge of a plug.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate all the advice. Getting ready to open my safe and do another examination of that 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar. I know I will be sending the coin back for the VP.

Thank You!