• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1809 over 8 Half Eagle on Pawn Stars

2 posts in this topic

My wife and I tape to Pawn Stars program and look at it at our leisure so I'm not sure when this was aired. A guy came in with an 1809 over 8 half eagle in PCGS MS-63. The guy wanted some like $34,500 for it to start. Rick offered $25,000 which is Gray Sheet bid. After a back and forth Rick went to $26,000, but the guy won't budge at $27,000.

I have to admit that I was surprised at Rick's offer. Given his position as a pawn shop, not a coin dealer, I would thought that he would have offered no more than $20,000 or perhaps 10% in back of bid, 22,500. One can never know when these things are staged or not. but it was interesting nevertheless. A quick look at recent Heritage auction results made Rick's cash offer look generous.

My wife and I tape to Pawn Stars program and look at it at our leisure so I'm not sure when this was aired. A guy came in with an 1809 over 8 half eagle in PCGS MS-63. The guy wanted some like $34,500 for it to start. Rick offered $25,000 which is Gray Sheet bid. After a back and forth Rick went to $26,000, but the guy won't budge at $27,000.

I have to admit that I was surprised at Rick's offer. Given his position as a pawn shop, not a coin dealer, I would thought that he would have offered no more than $20,000 or perhaps 10% in back of bid, 22,500. One can never know when these things are staged or not. but it was interesting nevertheless. A quick look at recent Heritage auction results made Rick's cash offer look generous.

i get a feeling like sometimes he just makes an offer of a certain percentage of the asking price, even if he does not know the value.

his son would sometimes do it: "i know nothing about these but i can give you $4,000 (when the guy is asking for $8,000).. obviously in this case the seller asked for wayyyyy too much, so even Rick's offer of ~70% the asking price was still high..

but i guess it makes no difference in this case. the producers pay for all the items bought on the show, and Rick gets to keep it.. so why not :grin: